Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Unit 30 NM Deer Results

RedIII

Went solo on first rifle in NM Unit 30. Did not fill my tag. I saw every animal except for a buck. Plenty of does, fawn , and a ton of elk surprisingly. They must have a good hiding spot because I glassed until my eyebrows hurt.

I've got a tag for next week in 30. I've got about two days because well....life. I won't ask any specifics, but did you go northern or southern part of the unit? I plan to try both based on my scouting. Solo here as well. I figured with all the rain this year, we'd have some nice fat bucks out there.

I was in the northern section inside the National forest boundary. I’d push over as many hills as you could as far in away from the roads and people as you could get. The deer were grey already and hard to spot. Let us know how you do.

Really cool to hear that the elk are pushing into those reaches of the state, maybe hunting pressure pushing them out of the Lincoln NF?

Could be a possibility. Truth be told I’m relatively new to hunting, and once I’d start my day walking in the dark I’d smell this unique skunk/piss/homeless guy smell all around me. Turns out I was almost surrounded by elk and it was them!

Tried Unit30 the last two days. Cold weather came in with some wind. Same here, don't know where the bucks went. I think they were probably just bedded down. I checked some known watering holes and nothing. I only tried Monday and Tuesday. Perhaps I should try on opening day next time. I was happy to see so many does though, It's amazing what happens when you just stop and look. Didn't see any elk though, but I'm pretty sure i was too far south.

They bucks have a calendar and can tell when it’s go time. I’m sure they’re out there just in their hiding spots. I probably won’t try to draw there next time unless someone talks me into it. I saw a cow elk in the flats near rattlesnake springs. Thought it was wild to see an elk walking in the open desert like that. That was on a failed scouting trip.

It's definitely a challenge there. I plan on hiking deep into country next time. Unit 30 will be my backup choice if I get skunked on draws next year. I went solo this year, might see if anyone wants to buddy up and hunt together there next year.

I’ve been researching the NM Jan archery season. Hard to find any detailed info

Went solo on first rifle in NM Unit 30. Did not fill my tag. I saw every animal except for a buck. Plenty of does, fawn , and a ton of elk surprisingly. They must have a good hiding spot because I glassed until my eyebrows hurt.
Absolutely huge bull shot in unit 30 in NM this year. The vid is on YouTube, at least I've been told it was unit 30 from some fairly reliable pple I would say

Absolutely huge bull shot in unit 30 in NM this year. The vid is on YouTube, at least I've been told it was unit 30 from some fairly reliable pple I would say
If the odds of pulling an elk tag weren’t so high I’d try for one in 30. I saw probably 5 to 6 bulls within bow striking distant.

I’ve been researching the NM Jan archery season. Hard to find any detailed info
Probably won’t be too hard then. They were hiding during rifle. I’d just find a secluded spot and get as far away from everyone as possible.

I've been thinking of applying for a permit in unit 30 for a rifle hunt. Haven't been there in a long time. I have a friend that wants to go but can't walk very well has to ride a 4wheeler, any info would be nice.

I've been thinking of applying for a permit in unit 30 for a rifle hunt. Haven't been there in a long time. I have a friend that wants to go but can't walk very well has to ride a 4wheeler, any info would be nice.
There are LOTS of 2 tracks that weave throughout the unit, and I’d see lots of traffic throughout the day down them. I was on foot as far as I could get away from the trails and would see everything except what I was hunting.

Sort of the same thing except the land has more elevation change. You can hunt alpine areas or take it down to the desert floor. There’s deer throughout. Mountains seem to have more life though.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back