Caribou Gear

Unit 22 Bear, Private Land Only

Williamsd3

The wife and I Finally drew Idaho unit 22 bear, but it’s private land only. I am not looking for your honey hole, but if you are aware of any landowners looking to clear some bears please let us know. I will be doing some house calls as well, but hoping there might be someone I can contact when I head that way...thanks in advance!

Last edited:
The wife and I Finally drew Idaho unit 22 bear, but it’s private land only. I am not looking for your honey hole, but if you are aware of any landowners looking to clear some bears please let us know. I will be doing some house calls as well, but hoping there might be someone I can contact when I head that way...thanks in advance!
Try Asking the land owners out by Cuprum and Advent Gulch.

You will likely have a difficult time getting free permission there. There are a small handful of landowners who own a lot of land. The purpose of the private only hunt was due to pressure from those landowners. I have hunted there with and without hounds and know a few who do with hounds. The landowners complain about too many bears but do not allow access to bear hunters to kill them. Since it is legal to outfit big game hunts on private land without a typical unit-wide outfitter's permit (very expensive and difficult to obtain) they can make a bundle of money guiding bear hunts. Hunters were not happy IDFG granted the private only tags.

Best if luck, and maybe you will find a small piece of property that will allow you to hunt, but it may not be super straightforward.

You will likely have a difficult time getting free permission there. There are a small handful of landowners who own a lot of land. The purpose of the private only hunt was due to pressure from those landowners. I have hunted there with and without hounds and know a few who do with hounds. The landowners complain about too many bears but do not allow access to bear hunters to kill them. Since it is legal to outfit big game hunts on private land without a typical unit-wide outfitter's permit (very expensive and difficult to obtain) they can make a bundle of money guiding bear hunts. Hunters were not happy IDFG granted the private only tags.

Best if luck, and maybe you will find a small piece of property that will allow you to hunt, but it may not be super straightforward.
Thanks, I've heard something very similar. I may just skip it and bait this Fall in Eastern Idaho!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back