Yeti GOBOX Collection

Unit 18 Questions

EastTNHunter

Anyone hunted or live near unit 18 that would mind answering some questions via pm? I’m an experienced deer hunter, but a newbie antelope hunter and I want to make sure that I have a sound plan for my daughter’s tag for this fall. We have some time limitations to work around, but no trophy aspirations. Just want to make memories and hopefully bring home some meat.

If you have maps on your phone or gps, you won't have any trouble. Been all around there, but don't live there.
Just hunt all day, avoid the temptation to "head back for lunch" like treestand hunters tend to do.

What state?
Sorry,
WY
If you have maps on your phone or gps, you won't have any trouble. Been all around there, but don't live there.
Just hunt all day, avoid the temptation to "head back for lunch" like treestand hunters tend to do.

Actually, one of my questions is about the map… not specific areas, per se, but if I’m seeing what I think I’m seeing. I’m so used to hunting topo lines and vegetation edges that I’m having a hard time reassuring myself that I’m going into this the right way, especially since it isn’t a “typical” antelope habitat all the way across the unit

Look for light tan stuff without a whole lot of topography. You can probably drive the entirety of the county roads in a half day. Avoid dark stuff (trees) and the roughest spots on top maps (breaks). It wont take long to find some adult bucks this way. Look for water holes in the light tan stuff on public land and you will certainly find some.

I will be out in WY 18 as well for my first antelope hunt. Absolutely pumped. Access seems pretty good. I am trying to narrow down some areas a little out of sight of county roads to get out and glass

For folks who have hunted 18 for antelope, how is the mulie population? I see the two obvious chunks of public being the Grassland and the BLM further south. That BLM looks (on maps) to be suitable terrain for both lope and deer. Curious if it would be worth spending early mornings and evenings glassing for deer and pivot to antelope midday or what. Thanks!

EDIT: I see now the antelope and deer units are different and the BLM north of Gillette is not in Antelope 18

Last edited:
Headed home with two goats this morning from 18. Bow hunted all week with no success. Ended up killing opening morning of rifle. Was pretty shocked at how few animals we seen in this area mule deer included. Not many places to go to get away from a two track. Never been so displeased with a successful hunt but maybe it was just the opening morning pressure that sucked.

Headed home with two goats this morning from 18. Bow hunted all week with no success. Ended up killing opening morning of rifle. Was pretty shocked at how few animals we seen in this area mule deer included. Not many places to go to get away from a two track. Never been so displeased with a successful hunt but maybe it was just the opening morning pressure that sucked.
Pictures at least?

Was pretty shocked at how few animals we seen in this area mule deer included. Not many places to go to get away from a two track. Never been so displeased with a successful hunt but maybe it was just the opening morning pressure that sucked.

Why were you shocked? What were your expectations going in? There are reasons certain units require 2 points or less.

Why were you shocked? What were your expectations going in? There are reasons certain units require 2 points or less.
This unit took more than 3 to draw in the regular non resident point draw. I’ve been in the area before just been several years(2013) and expected the heard to be more than we seen.

Thats what I assumed. I have a zoleo and all OnX downloaded. Just curious

How was the cell signal out there north of Gillette? AT&T
Very poor service in area for at&t. Maybe the best part of the hunt area. It's getting tougher to get away. The places you can get service easy to find again if you got to get a hold of are somebody.

Anyone hunted or live near unit 18 that would mind answering some questions via pm? I’m an experienced deer hunter, but a newbie antelope hunter and I want to make sure that I have a sound plan for my daughter’s tag for this fall. We have some time limitations to work around, but no trophy aspirations. Just want to make memories and hopefully bring home some meat.

Tons of pressure from other hunters, but my son's first year hunting was successful as was I on public land.

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_151558~2.jpg
    IMG_20211002_151558~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20211003_160725~2.jpg
    IMG_20211003_160725~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member