Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Unit 14 Co. and general area

gordoferg

How is the hunting in this unit I've heard alot of pressure but that goes for most units these days . We do alot of hiking in the timber and watch the pockets usually 2nd rifle is this a unit you would put on list as a possibility yes or no ? Thanks

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. - Colorado Parks and Wildlife officials in Steamboat Springs are proposing changes to archery hunting in a portion of the Routt National Forest. A virtual public meeting is planned for Wednesday, June 24 2020 at 6 p.m. to share the proposed regulatory changes and gather public input.
The proposed change would apply to Game Management Unit (GMU) 14, which stretches from Steamboat Springs east to the Continental Divide and north to the Little Snake River divide. Currently, archery elk hunters in GMU 14 can purchase over-the-counter, either sex licenses in the unit, meaning there are an unlimited number of archery licenses for bulls and cows in the unit. In recent years, increases in the number of archery hunters and the amount of non-hunting outdoor recreation have negatively impacted hunter experience, hunter success, and herd quality. In response, managers are proposing making GMU 14 a limited draw-only unit, which would require archery hunters to apply for a set number of hunting licenses each year.

In 1990, 307 archery elk hunters hunted GMU 14. By 2019 that number had risen to 1,582 archery elk hunters. Over the same time, rifle hunting has declined in the unit, from 2,911 in 1990 to 1,302 last year. The September archery season in GMU 14 is also impacted by more than 500 participants in the 36-hour, Run Rabbit Run ultramarathon.

Over time, CPW staff has noticed a decrease in the number of calves per cow from 0.52 in 2006 to 0.37 in 2019. The calf to cow decline indicates decreasing productivity within the local herd. Winter classification flights have confirmed declining numbers of elk over the same time frame from 639 elk in 2006 down to 393 in 2019. Classification flights do not seek to count every animal on the landscape, rather they provide a key input to computer models that, together with other inputs such as hunter harvest, give a more accurate picture of the overall herd.

I'd look elsewhere, 14 is not what it used to be in terms of population and quality. It will also be covered up with people wanting to hunt the burn scar from last year.

I'd look elsewhere, 14 is not what it used to be in terms of population and quality. It will also be covered up with people wanting to hunt the burn scar from last year.
Thanks for the info we hunted 28 a few years and moved south for the past couple years have had success, nice to see new areas before run out of time on being able to get out and actually hunt .

Gordoferg... If you are looking to hunt north of Steamboat you may want to consider unit 5. My wife and I have hunted cows there several times and have always been successful if you are willing to walk at least one mile away from the road. And OTC bull too 2nd season. The area north of Columbine around Shield Mtn and Deadhorse Ridge have some nice areas that hold elk until they move west and down into the Three Forks ranch once the snow comes. I can PM you with details if you would like.
Yes sir that would be great I have no clue about the area I've skied Steamboat in the 80's when I still lived in Colorado grew up in Nederland . Thanks for the response

How do I delete my post, I thought it was a PM. Thanks to anyone that can help me!!
You deleted yours Curdog still needs to delete his post because it quotes yours even tho you deleted yours getting used to replying to posts and starting PM can get confusing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back