PEAX Equipment

unit 13b arizona mule deer info needed

jonrob

My son drew a rifle tag in november 2019. We have never hunted out west or for mule deer. We need to know locations that might hold deer. Any help is appreciated.

Well, I don't know anything about the area, so I went to the Google. It looks to be a prime tag in a prime unit that holds giant mule deer. It's a shame y'all haven't been getting any mule deer hunting experience before drawing a prime tag. Best of luck.

And welcome to HuntTalk.

I had to look twice at thread title. That is one of the most coveted tags out there so congratulations on drawing it, current odds show .2% chance with 20 points. Having no experience hunting mule deer or out west, you may want to consider using an outfitter, especially with what is essentially a one in a lifetime tag. Just my opinion.
If you decide to DIY it, there should be boat loads of information available on line.

Not a bad deal if you're with a guide that is good. Just the time, gas, food, vehicle wear and scouting involved would chew right into the lion's share of that. If the guide is doing his job for $5500, he isn't making much profit at all. Facts.

Or just show up and wing it. You never know it might be a cake walk right? Rutting bucks, November, rifle hunting, limited quota/premium area. :D

You are likely to not even know anybody who draws that permit, ever again in your life.

He's too late to snag an outfitter, I would guess. Early birds already got those worms. Brec Bundy is a good one. Randy Newberg used him when he drew.

Not a bad deal if you're with a guide that is good. Just the time, gas, food, vehicle wear and scouting involved would chew right into the lion's share of that. If the guide is doing his job for $5500, he isn't making much profit at all. Facts.

Or just show up and wing it. You never know it might be a cake walk right? Rutting bucks, November, rifle hunting, limited quota/premium area. :D

You are likely to not even know anybody who draws that permit, ever again in your life.
Admittedly I just clicked on one and threw it in here lol.

We might be staying in littlefield, are there any possibites on the north side of the mountain or would that be wasted time ?

Congrats to your son on the tag. If an outfitter is not a possibility my advice is get out there as early as you can to scout. Talk to game wardens / biologists from Arizona to get any info you can. Order some unit maps then get on google earth to scout out some good starting points. I would also join Huntin Fool and get a list of past tag winners, that has helped me in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back