Unexpected E-Scouting Results

BuckRut

Was doing some E-scouting for a deer unit for some high country backpack hunting and came across a pair of wall tents on the satellite image so I started actually looking for them. I am up to probably 10 different camps in the same unit now. Most of which are no where near a road. Was not expecting that but I guess I probably better look at a different unit.

I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks back. I didn't get up to 10, but I saw enough to look for a different area

I am 64 now and have been hunting since I was 12. I learned to make hunting pressure work in my favor rather than try to avoid it entirely. Even the back country is starting to get rather crowded for those who despise hunting pressure completely. I do avoid the areas where there are so many orange hats that no one stands a reasonable chance of success though.

Sounds like you stumbled onto a gold mine. Those outfitters already did the location scouting for you and set up shelter. You will be just like Goldilocks and hopefully the bears(outfitter) doesn’t show up.
I’ve actually found wall tents as well on google earth and really didn’t let them deter me. We have come across them during season as well and all the ones we have found never have hunters in them. I’m not going to let empty wall tents keep me from hunting public land.
Obviously if the camp is occupied I’m moving on since I’m not that kind of guy and dislike unwanted company. That is just like the people back east here who put their permanent tree stand up and leave it up forever to “reserve” their spots that they spend 3 hours per season in.

I'm still trying to find deer/elk on google earth ! :)

For some reason i can always find cows though...

Those tents are there for a reason. No one will go through that much trouble to set a camp up miles back in unless there is a very reasonable chance at success.

You could use it to your advantage. If there's that many camps, then the area has obviously been scouted and it's a safe assumption that there are animals in the area. Continue your escouting and look for possible areas the animals might go when pressured and set up there.
And this is how you hunt pressured areas! Great post sir!

Where I have hunted with an outfitter you can see all his camps set up on google earth and they are even labeled somehow. He is still confused on that part.

Back