Uncommon Hunting Dogs

JustinsDad

I have a Rottweiler that hunts. Not like treeing a squirrel or pointing at a pheasant but she’ll sit over a gopher, rabbit or squirrel hole for hours and end up getting it. Like a cat or something. I used to have a collie/german shepherd that was a good bird dog but I don’t have any pics of him. You guys have any unusual breed hunting dogs?C3321645-695C-439C-9CD9-424D339A656A.jpeg

I had a Great Dane that I would take rabbit hunting. It was kinda funny watching a 165 pound dog chasing after a rabbit he kicked up. He never caught one, and I never got a shot off on one, but they were some of my best memories with him.

JustinsDad...That is an amazing looking Rott. I have one too, but he just kills stray cats.

I had a Great Dane that I would take rabbit hunting. It was kinda funny watching a 165 pound dog chasing after a rabbit he kicked up. He never caught one, and I never got a shot off on one, but they were some of my best memories with him.

Gus and I go out rabbit hunting from time to time. He never catches them, I never hit them with my bow.

I have a blast every time.

I have a Rottweiler that hunts. Not like treeing a squirrel or pointing at a pheasant but she’ll sit over a gopher, rabbit or squirrel hole for hours and end up getting it. Like a cat or something. I used to have a collie/german shepherd that was a good bird dog but I don’t have any pics of him. You guys have any unusual breed hunting dogs?

The look on her face... she is so pleased with herself lol

@wllm1313 you are my new hero! I had a corgi I tried to teach to retrieve doves, but she was more strong willed than me, so it didn't work out. She was a great dog though.

Well My Dad has hunted Blacktail deer with 4 generations of English pointers. Not everyone can say that.

My Kids' Mutt is a dang good Turkey tracker and catcher....

91615732_10221729000762952_4355147712031621120_o.jpg

1476030_10202550384029520_2031138115_n.jpg

@wllm1313 you are my new hero! I had a corgi I tried to teach to retrieve doves, but she was more strong willed than me, so it didn't work out. She was a great dog though.

Let's be honest he's a corgi retrieving... taking him out to hunt chukar in hells canyon would be kinda like me suiting up for a Raiders game.

That said, we have a blast, amazing what you can teach your dog when you live in MT and your wife is studying for the MCAT.

Last edited:
I got a buddy that has a pit that retrievers ducks and geese. Not as fast as a lab but it does the job

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back