Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Ultra light elk rifle suppressed? Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT 300 PRC thoughts?

I built my first hunting rifles under 10lbs last year and am switching to a 1lb heavier stock on one of them because I don’t shot them as well from shooting sticks as I do with slightly heavier rifles. They both came in around 8lbs. Not crazy light. You might see if you can shoot some different weight rifles the way that you plan to shoot them in the field before you go so light.

Nice, I appreciate your feedback. I also carry with the gun bearer and agree, the suppressor would rest basically in front of my face blocking my view to some degree and reflecting light. The 300 WSM in a 18 or 20" sounds like a good option as well but the velocities start to drop off and reduce the effective range. I noticed that the gun bearer puts a decent amount of pressure on the action screws and my stock came lose on me last year during my elk hunt. I didn't have an Allen wrench on my and had to head back to the truck and re sight in to make sure everything was zeroed. Have you ever noticed the torque the gun bearer puts on your rifle? I was also a bit considered about rubbing the carbon raw around the barrel or stock wherever the top loop contacts the gun. Any good remedies to protect the barrel or stock at these contact points without changing point of impact or messing with the gun too much...
I’m not sure the gun bearer had anything to do with an action screw coming out.

Just like Brokel, I run the strap under my sling swivel. I put the gun in upside down.

I’m about to be packing around a ridgeline 300wsm with a YHM Resonator K on it. I’m a little concerned about the overall length but I expect the recoil to be minimal. For most of my hunting in the east I feel like the 20in ridgeline in 308 with a can would be perfect. I screwed the can on a tikka CTR 6.5 the other day with a Vx-5 on it and loaded it was pushing 11lbs.

If you must shoot a mono, that 190 Cx is going to post better numbers than most at range.

That said, a 300 PRC isn’t Magic for a 650 yd shot and a 5.5# one sure as shit isn’t because it’s going to be a handful to shoot accurately in field conditions.

Why do people go out of their way to get super light rifles then get every after market product they can find to control the recoil? After you add the reciol butt plate and recoil reducer and put it on your rifle then get some scope that will allow you to think you can shoot 500yds like a pro, just how much does that rifle weigh then?

I'm with Don on this one.

If you want an 8lb rifle, then get an 8lb rifle.
I also don't like the added length & weight of a supressor.
Not so much the weight itself, but it throws off the balance for me.

I had a Forbes 24B in 280 Rem. Rifle bare was 5.5lb.
After EGW base, Vortex rings, Sightron scope, and sling came in just under 7lb.
And shot just fine.

My thought..
That's an extra pound of water, or food i could carry.

I find hard kicking cartridges in light rifles to be a bit obnoxious but I don't run muzzle brakes or suppressors. For what you are considering I would go with the 300 wsm. I think that cartridge balances better with the setup you are considering. If I was going to run a 300 prc I would go with a heavier longer barreled rifle so I could squeeze the performance out of that cartridge. To me it doesn't make a lot of sense cutting down a barrel on a cartridge that burns a lot of powder.

Last week I obtained a winchester featherweight in a 300 wsm caliber, it's no featherweight but it's much easier to shoot with the 24 inch barrel. my 22 inch xbolt in same caliber is unfortunately a pig to fire, with a suppressor and all. My other xbolt has a 26 inch pipe in the 300 shorty and it's much better to handle. With the 22 inch I get 2980 fps with 180 gr straight from the manufacturer. A 180 should handle a moose.
Fwiw, the sectional density of the 140 gr in 6.5 in quite high, that's why it's good up to moose in the Nordic countries. A 165 gr 30 cal has a sd of .248, a 125 gr in 6.5 has a sd of .248. I've shot lots of tahr and a young three yr old wapiti in nz with a 125 gr partition, mv of only 2500 fps.

Just checked the sd of the 140 gr in 6.5=.287
The 180 gr in the 30 cal is way back at .271
The sd determines the ability of the projectile in penetration, the higher the sd the better the penetration.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back