Caribou Gear Tarp

Ukraine / Russia

Slope towards what? 335 million citizens, eliminates a few dozen hereditary elite from POTUS - where is the slope we are sliding down?

Other than the Roosevelts and Bushes, family dynasties have largely not made a real impact on the winning of the Whitehouse.

I think most would say the two Roosevelts were above average presidents.

Offering my personal judgement, concerning the Bushes, the elder was above average, the junior below...so pretty average between them.

The last name cuts both ways. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. I doubt Jeb Bush felt he got a leg up when he ran.

Other than the Roosevelts and Bushes, family dynasties have largely not made a real impact on the winning of the Whitehouse.
Maybe the Kennedy's Joe Sr., John, Robert, Edward, Joseph, Patrick, Ted Jr. And for short while, and at the same time, the President, Attorney General, and Senator all named Kennedy were in office at the same time.
When we add an age cap for POTUS to the constitution (not holding my breath) I also want to add a prohibition against any brother, sister, mother, father, child or spouse (current or ex) of a former president to hold the office. No more Bushes, no more Clintons, no Obamas or Trumps, no Kennedy brothers back in the day. We have 335 million citizens, we don’t need to keep fishing from the same hole. I would also say that if defeated during a run for second term, you a done - no more Grover Clevelands.
I understand this would not be an easy task, but I agree, even if it is set at 70 and you win a second term, you would be 78. So maybe 65 would be better
35/65 ?

Although I agree that we should never allow a family to control so much of Government, as the Kennedy's did for a short while. But why do you feel it is bad for someone else in a family to also serve, as long as it is at a different time. Bush ( Father/son ), Clinton ( Husband/Wife )--one was serving at a different time than the other . I understand we have a large base to choose from but was curious why you are against people in the same family running for office at different times, thanks

Surrounds him--or makes ALL the decisions for him ? Would you like to believe that the platform and the man you voted for actually believes , and more importantly understands what his platform is and therefore can present it properly when given the opportunity .

We, actually prefer to have people in our group with different views, age, and political beliefs, as it gives everyone in the group, with an open mind, to look at different sides of any given discussion . Personally I enjoy and like hearing opposing views and many times it has given me a better picture pf a situation and in some cases, changed my mind after listening to others.

But being a young conservative female, I get admonished a lot and for me that is o.k. . I hope I never have a closed mind to the ideas of others
You and I have exchanged iMs and I have a lot of respect for you, but you have to learn to recognize BS when you hear it. No one or group is making ALL of the decisions for him. And you have to remember that in the last admistration there were people that walked about of a meeting with POTUS and said “that guy is bat-shet crazy and I’m not going it”. That has positives and negatives. We need to make sure there is balance in the room to ensure a robust discussion. I get your point on some person making decisions that we didn’t vote for, but you could have brought that up with Dick cheney or Stephen Miller or Steve Bannon too. I’m not sure that will change.

You and I have exchanged iMs and I have a lot of respect for you, but you have to learn to recognize BS when you hear it. No one or group is making ALL of the decisions for him. And you have to remember that in the last admistration there were people that walked about of a meeting with POTUS and said “that guy is bat-shet crazy and I’m not going it”. That has positives and negatives. We need to make sure there is balance in the room to ensure a robust discussion. I get your point on some person making decisions that we didn’t vote for, but you could have brought that up with Dick cheney or Stephen Miller or Steve Bannon too. I’m not sure that will change.
I understand your point sir, and have heard it a hundred times, that this or that isn't as bad as Trump, or Clintons sex encounters were different than Kennedy's or that Reagan may have also suffered form dementia and this president did that and that president did this.

and my point is, that is what our concern is ? As long as he doesn't upset me as much as a different president then we are good to go ? I prefer to look at what we have in front of us right now--whenever now is--====and try to decipher what we have and how do we not let this happen again--if possible. If we eliminate our differences based on our political leanings, and look at an issue that is in front of us today, we sometimes find ourself closer together than most realize.

Does the fact that someone or even several someones said Trump was bat shit crazy, make our concern that Biden may have dementia any less real and if he does, should he be in office ? who is "leading" the group of advisors that surround him ?

As far as recognizing BS, you might be right, but in the two cases I quoted, I saw and listened to the press conferences that Biden gave. I was not depending on the opinion of some news person. Trump is not in office, my concern is the current president who is in office and is he playing with a full deck. I dont know, but he has said several things that make me wonder/concerned.

I will log off and give you the last word, if you so choice, as vikingguy has nicely reminded me via pm that this thread is suppose to be about Ukraine/Russia, and he is right. I apologize for taking it off course Good Night

I think most would say the two Roosevelts were above average presidents.

Offering my personal judgement, concerning the Bushes, the elder was above average, the junior below...so pretty average between them.

The last name cuts both ways. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. I doubt Jeb Bush felt he got a leg up when he ran.
Depends on how far you want to take it... George W Bush and Obama are 10th cousins... but you mentioned the Roosevelts who were 5th cousins, though Elenore was Teddy's niece, so let's go to 5th cousins.
Father -Son
John Adams
John Quincy Adams

Father - Son
George HW Bush
George W Bush

Grand Father - Son
William Henry Harrison
Benjamin Harrison

Second cousins
James Madison and Zachary Taylor
James Madison and James K. Polk (once removed)
Zachary Taylor and James K. Polk (once removed)

Third cousins
Martin Van Buren and Theodore Roosevelt (three times removed)
Martin Van Buren and Franklin D. Roosevelt (four times removed)
John Adams and Calvin Coolidge (five times removed)
James Madison and Barack Obama (nine times removed)

Fourth cousins
John Tyler and William Henry Harrison (once removed)
Ulysses Grant and Franklin D. Roosevelt (once removed)
John Adams and Millard Fillmore (three times removed)
John Quincy Adams and Franklin D. Roosevelt (three times removed)
Zachary Taylor and Franklin D. Roosevelt (half-cousins, three times removed)
James Garfield and George H. W. Bush (three times removed)
Lyndon Johnson and Barack Obama (three times removed)
John Quincy Adams and Calvin Coolidge (four times removed)
Franklin Pierce and Calvin Coolidge (four times removed)
James Garfield and George W. Bush (four times removed)
John Adams and William Howard Taft (five times removed)
Franklin Pierce and Herbert Hoover (five times removed)
Millard Fillmore and George H. W. Bush (five times removed)
Millard Fillmore and George W. Bush (six times removed)

Fifth cousins
Theodore Roosevelt and Franklin D. Roosevelt
Millard Fillmore and Grover Cleveland (once removed)
Rutherford Hayes and Grover Cleveland (once removed)
John Tyler and Benjamin Harrison (once removed)
James Garfield and William Howard Taft (once removed)
John Quincy Adams and Millard Fillmore (twice removed)
Millard Fillmore and Warren G. Harding (twice removed)
Ulysses Grant and Calvin Coolidge (three times removed)
John Quincy Adams and William Howard Taft (four times removed)
Millard Fillmore and Herbert Hoover (four times removed)
Franklin Pierce and George H. W. Bush (four times removed)
Grover Cleveland and Gerald Ford (four times removed)
Millard Fillmore and Gerald Ford (five times removed)
Franklin Pierce and George W. Bush (five times removed)

Depends on how far you want to take it... George W Bush and Obama are 10th cousins... but you mentioned the Roosevelts who were 5th cousins, though Elenore was Teddy's niece, so let's go to 5th cousins.
Father -Son
John Adams
John Quincy Adams

Father - Son
George HW Bush
George W Bush

Grand Father - Son
William Henry Harrison
Benjamin Harrison

Second cousins

Third cousins

Fourth cousins

Fifth cousins

Is this an offshoot of 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon?

Funny how this thread turned to a topic that is currently being discussed in this neck of the woods.

Is it better to have a young Prime Minister or an older one ? And one of the topics that came up is "vitality" of the younger man, or woman. We have had a least 10 "published " sex scandals of elected officials ( one involving the wife of a prime minister and Mick Jagger of the Stone's ). Looking south, Kennedy/Marilyn and Clinton/Monica and both of these men were younger. Not selling anything with this post, just sharing that we were just discussing the age thing as well and the benefits of a younger man vs older man. During the discussion Henry VIII came up, which I have always said that his actions were the height of hypocrisy . He had six wives and two mistresses and he beheaded two of his wives for adultery

I would think since this is a hunting forum that most members like Teddy Roosevelt

:) This seems to be the reaction of the majority toward Trudeau, at this time. His poll numbers and support are not looking good. maybe he needs to have an affair

Father -Son
John Adams
John Quincy Adams

Father - Son
George HW Bush
George W Bush

Grand Father - Son
William Henry Harrison
Benjamin Harrison

Second cousins

Third cousins

Fourth cousins

Fifth cousins

and all of them... illuminati!

You know who the other guy was, right? I know out memories are short these days but it’s like we forget what a shit show the last admin was. Hopefully the choices are better in 2024. Oh please let them be better.
Well, let's see:

Gas $2+; energy independence, exporting energy

Unemployment record low, best for minorities and women
Tax cuts for middle class
Funding for HBCU
Abraham Peace Accords
Got us out of Wars
Opportunity Zones
Brought jobs back to America
First Step Program
Border under control

Yeah, kind of a shit show.

And I don't even like Trump, but compared to Biden (or, as previously discussed, not really Biden). Look at the outcomes, not your bias.

Of the $7 billion a month Ukraine is requesting for day-to-day operations from the international community.
The Ukrainians are only asking 2 billion of that coming from US pockets. So nice they’re cutting us a little bit of slack.🙄

I disagree - having watched speeches from both leaders before and after their decline - Biden (due to natural decline we will all face if we live long enough) has undoubtedly lost ground and his staff knows it (just like Reagan’s did).

One of the more progressive house staffers I know is livid that “her agenda” is sidelined for another 3 years due to his growing ineffectiveness - it’s not just the GOP and world leaders that see it.

And this makes the Ukraine situation more dangerous. I hope in 2024 we elect a president under the age of 65.

I agree, very nicely stated.
During the discussion Henry VIII came up, which I have always said that his actions were the height of hypocrisy . He had six wives and two mistresses and he beheaded two of his wives for adultery
hypocrisy might be an understatement

Dude, did you forget all the mean hurtful tweets he sent out there are millions of Americans that have yet to recover from those tweets.
Many never will……a lost generation.

As a young female conservative, Trumps tweets pale in comparison to what I have been called. The fact that I disagree with "late term" abortions, boys in girls sports, defunding the police and a nanny state. I believe parents should have a voice in what is taught to their children, especially in elementary school. I stand up when the national anthem is played----------

I would prefer tweets to the verbal and physical threats I have experienced.

Vickingsguy--with apologizes ;)

Last edited:
As a young female conservative, Trumps tweets pale in comparison to what I have been called. The fact that I disagree with "late term" abortions, boys in girls sports, parental rights or at the very least a voice in what is taught to their children, especially in elementary school. Defunding the police, a nanny state, standing up when the national anthem is played----------

I would prefer tweets to the verbal and physical threats I have experienced.

admittedly, i voted for trump twice, with my nose plugged each time.

whether i would do that over again is a question i'm still not sure of the answer to. i share many of your political sentiments stated above.

the inability of people to have honest disagreements anymore is unbelievable. and i can't say, ESPECIALLY as a guy, that i can understand or relate to anything you've experienced as a female like you've relayed. i won't pretend i can understand that.

but, on the flip side of the coin, trump's words, spoken or tweeted, certainly helped people feel empowered, motivated, or justified to do the same thing you've experienced to other people of differing political persuasion, females or otherwise. i honestly hope he stays off twitter, and i hope our country can be done with him for the rest of its history. a history i hope is a long one, but i often wonder anymore...

on the other side, people's hatred of trump for the things he said, or what people thought he was saying, likewise helped them feel empowered to do and say the hateful things back to the folks on his side of the aisle, like you've experienced. no side is clean on this issue. and it again makes me wonder how much longer our country's story of liberty will continue.

it's not necessarily a trump specific issue, or an issue we can squarely blame on him for where we've gotten.

slightly in jest, but slightly seriously, and back on point to the thread, i think we can blame Putin to some degree.

Last edited:
I too wonder how long a country so large, diverse and divided can hold it all together over a long term. Then again, we have made it thru many rough patches in our history.

It is very corrosive to our politics when a former president continually asserts the election was stolen from him. I do not know if he truly believes that or calculates it is the best path for him politically. Either way it sets up a situation that the losing side in every election will reject the results of the election.

The fealty that GOP politicians show him is pathetic or impressive, depending on perspective. The contortions that Kevin McCarthy continues in a hope to become the speaker of the house is case study in selling one's soul for ambition.

I don't have solutions for the rancor that exists other than to treat everyone I interact with politely. Whether it is Hillary calling some, deplorables or the right calling people "woke" as an insult... it serves everyone poorly to think people that hold different views are less than.

Of the $7 billion a month Ukraine is requesting for day-to-day operations from the international community.
The Ukrainians are only asking 2 billion of that coming from US pockets. So nice they’re cutting us a little bit of slack.🙄
Holy smokes that is a lot of money.

Togie---you might enjoy this. Sometimes when I watched Trump at a rally with my father and grandfather, all three of us would say--"o.k., you made your point, move on!" but he didn't . Many times during his presidency I would hear someone in my family say, "God, please take his phone away from him so he can't tweet "

However, my mother felt that with so many in the press openly against him that if he didn't toot his own horn, nobody would. But my grandmother never forgave him, for the comment he made about grabbing a woman by the crotch ( or something like that ) It was something he said years ago and was taped privately after some t v program--but my grandmother never forgave him, BUT--she hated Hillary, so she wrote in somebody, I forgot who.
All this in just one family :)

And to the point of your post. You are not wrong sir.

Togie---you might enjoy this. Sometimes when I watched Trump at a rally with my father and grandfather, all three of us would say--"o.k., you made your point, move on!" but he didn't . Many times during his presidency I would hear someone in my family say, "God, please take his phone away from him so he can't tweet "

However, my mother felt that with so many in the press openly against him that if he didn't toot his own horn, nobody would. But my grandmother never forgave him, for the comment he made about grabbing a woman by the crotch ( or something like that ) It was something he said years ago and was taped privately after some t v program--but my grandmother never forgave him, BUT--she hated Hillary, so she wrote in somebody, I forgot who.
All this in just one family :)

And to the point of your post. You are not wrong sir.

it seems to ring true in a lot of families. my parents trend more in the middle, my dad casts votes for R & D in about equal proportions, he despised trump.

my FIL, former air force general, very conservative voter, couldn't stand trump, though voted for him originally. my MIL even more conservative than my FIL, lost faith in the office of the presidency after trump, also voted for him the first time.

as always, it's the two groups of 10% on the far end of each side of the bell curve, yelling the loudest and driving the narrative, stoking the division and vitriol. Putin plays off that.

the rest of us somewhere between those two ends are left with our heads spinning.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back