Ukraine / Russia

Ruble Surpasses Brazil’s Real as Year’s Best-Performing Currency.​

Come on everyone we need to hashtag harder. LOL Between the great year on the oil and gas markets and the news on the ruble they are doing alright.

We sure showed Putin!🙄

Come on everyone we need to hashtag harder. LOL Between the great year on the oil and gas markets and the news on the ruble they are doing alright.

We sure showed Putin!🙄
1652447530909.png

Which part don’t you like. The ruble is still holding its own and performing well or Russia’s set up to have a record-setting year on oil and gas.

I fully understand that Russia is manipulating their currency to maximize it but they’re doing it very well and so far pulling it off.

Which part don’t you like. The ruble is still holding its own and performing well or Russia’s set up to have a record-setting year on oil and gas.

I fully understand that Russia is manipulating their currency to maximize it but they’re doing it very well and so far pulling it off.
A house of cards (eventually), has only one direction to go.

I am on the record as doubting the effectiveness of sanctions in general - see, Iran, North Korea and Venezuela for just three recent examples. However, to the extent they would be useful, the specifics of your post aren't really evidence of their non-utility - hence the image.

The sanctions, as currently formed, have five goals. Put pressure on Putin's inner circle's personal well-being/comfort, create near-term parts shortages that would make rebuilding spent armaments more challenging, make sure the Russian general population feels some pain different from the propaganda they are fed daily, push Europe to re-order its supply chains to move away from Russia raw material dependencies (incl. OG), and disconnect the Russian economy from the global markets in a way to reduce their long term ability to build and project power.

None of these goals are much impacted by the stats of your post - and if anything they are being driven by the early signs of success of the 4th goal.

So the sanctions are working then is that what you’re trying to tell me because I don’t believe Russia is internally selling the oil for record setting profits. I’d guess their selling it on the international market.

I believe "manipulating " is the key word in your post. As vikingsguy illustrated, it is a straw man

I think the more important news and possibly the more devastating news to Russia is Finland and Swedens move toward joining NATO.
I don’t know who you think this is devastating for. Those are never realistic options for retaking. if anything Putin is going to use us to drive home to his population that NATO is a threat to due to continued expansion.

So the sanctions are working then is that what you’re trying to tell me because I don’t believe Russia is internally selling the oil for record setting profits. I’d guess their selling it on the international market.
If you are trying to have an intelligent discussion go back and read my post and note that is not at all what I was suggesting. If you are just being argumentative, or truly struggle understanding complex markets, then carry on.

I don’t know who you think this is devastating for. Those are never realistic options for retaking. if anything Putin is going to use us to drive home to his population that NATO is a threat to due to continued expansion.
As Vikingsguy and others have pointed out many times, none us can predict what a madman will do. Perhaps he will prefer to go out in a blaze of Glory or perhaps he will do nothing. I dont know. I do know that before he invaded Ukraine, Finland had no desire to join Nato and now there is a very real chance that the will. Possibly even Sweden, although that is not the same as having an 800 mile border ( Finland ) with a Nato country. Maybe, if and when he leaves Ukraine, Ukraine would clean up their act and Nato would allow them to join. Moldova ( Black Sea ) are making joining NATO overtures.

Bottom line, you are correct--I dont know ! But if those countries join, I dont see how that was a "gain" in Putins eyes. The Russian people--different story, as I doubt if the majority of Russian citizens care about who joins NATO and who doesn't . But it looks like suddenly at least three countries who were not thinking about doing NATO, may now do so.

IMHO---if Finland, Sweden, Moldova, Ukraine, all joined NATO--Putin would not be pleased. Perhaps "pleased" is a better word than " devastated"

If you are trying to have an intelligent discussion go back and read my post and note that is not at all what I was suggesting. If you are just being argumentative, or truly struggle understanding complex markets, then carry on.
Your right I’m being argumentative.
I’m tiring of those who pretend that the sanctions are working or are have some devastating effect on Russia. Not you so much. The “i’ll paY MorE tO sTick ti tO pUtin. #PucKfUtin” crowd. The billions that they are raking in every month on the O&G would prove otherwise. It’s real money. They can turn into real assets. Or buy whatever chips or electronics they need to make more rockets and bombs from China.

As far as people getting hung up on the manipulating of the ruble. I mean who would do such a thing……oh wait ….the fed…never mind.

Someone currently living US saying this about Russia is the pot calling on the kettle black, given our booming inflation, fuel prices, etc.
The paper money propping up our house of cards is evaporating quickly.

The paper money propping up our house of cards is evaporating quickly.

Elon Musk is actually an autonomous cybernetic organism. He was able to override from the coded directive of annexing AK to Canada and found survival in a niche market with buyers who are more smug than Prius drivers. The new self-coded goal is to become the Governor of CA.

We sure showed Putin!🙄
The strength of Ruble doesn't demonstrate anything regarding effectiveness or ineffectiveness of sanctions. Their oil and gas will find a home, as it must, and the ruble will benefit. The initial decline was due to the initial sanctions and companies selling what little rubles they held for trade purposes. There is little activity in rubles other than in oil and gas and major trading houses will stop purchases on May 15. Sanctions take time. A long time. Stinger missiles are more effective in the immediate term.

The strength of Ruble doesn't demonstrate anything regarding effectiveness or ineffectiveness of sanctions. Their oil and gas will find a home, as it must, and the ruble will benefit. The initial decline was due to the initial sanctions and companies selling what little rubles they held for trade purposes. There is little activity in rubles other than in oil and gas and major trading houses will stop purchases on May 15. Sanctions take time. A long time. Stinger missiles are more effective in the immediate term.
I will standby for those to take effect. Good thing stingers are free and they have a endless supply.

I will standby for those to take effect. Good thing stingers are free and they have a endless supply.
No one said they are free. You complain a lot about money. Find me something we should spend money on that is more effective at stopping a Russian invasion. Or even list things you would rather see money spent on. You know....make an argument.

No one said they are free. You complain a lot about money. Find me something we should spend money on that is more effective at stopping a Russian invasion. Or even list things you would rather see money spent on. You know....make an argument.
Better to post inaccurate or misapplied sound bites you got from Tucker.

Better to post inaccurate or misapplied sound bites you got from Tucker.
That's what is so great for Tucker, you just bitch about democrats but don't actually say what they or dems should actually do.

Let's here some policy ideas brohem

I would love to hear him give an interview with is 1-10 list of steps to handle the situation. Per his interview with Rinella he just rants from his cottage in Maine.

So I mean basically he's just your average HTer who somehow got a show

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back