Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

TX controlled hunt

WildWill

Figured I'd bring you guys along on my Texas public land hunt. I've hunted quite a bit in eastern Texas from Clarksville to Galveston and the panhandle but this will be my first hill country hunt. In case you're not aware Texas actually does have controlled or draw hunts the odds are terrible yet I managed 2 tags this year. A few of these controlled hunts are designated "private land hunts" this was one of those called the Travis county hunt. Turns out this "ranch" is actually the Barton Creek Habitat Preserve owned by the city of Austin and ran by the nature conservancy. I have 2 tags good for does or spikes and have to report by noon tomorrow for orientation.

I'm pretty excited especially considering I haven't shot a deer yet this year. Was gone elk hunting the first 15 day's of season then was basically a guide for nieces, nephews, wife, mom, friends, etc. Also been holding out for this fella. Cool part is when my little brother heard where I was headed he wanted to come. Not on the actual hunt he's not a hunter and you can't have anyone else unless you're a minor. He went to college here and has friends and just loves Austin. This trip will basically be the opposite of my Wyoming elk hunt. Hotels, restaurants, a assigned feeder and blind I cant leave on public that the public can't access. Things could get Freaky!20221130_202253.jpg
Should have been hunting that morning.20220917_115054.jpg

We lived in ATX for 7 years. This could be fun a follow.

If you need food recommendations reach out.
I'm all ears we will actually be in Bee Cave at the Sonesta hotel which from my understanding is basically the western suburbs of Austin. I love BBQ but am a bit picky, love to get some good seafood one night can't get that in Oklahoma. Also I'll need you to point me to the best kolaches especially ham and cheese you know of in the area.

That buck is a FREAK!
I'm very hung up on him. Sometimes I hate trail cams he's been within bow range of one stand during shooting light 3 times in November. Once I was in the wrong stand, once was guiding a friend on another property, and once I was at work.20221017_190412.jpg

Good news and bad news he made it through rifle season. I'm hoping his stomach gets him in trouble during during our late archery season.

We lived south, in Kyle, but do not waste your time going to Salt Lick for bbq. If you’re in town hit Terry Black’s for bbq, best beef ribs around.

For seafood we really liked the Oyster and Crawfish Shack in SouthPark Meadows.

And any mom and pop place will have the best kolaches. Avoid the kolache factory.

I'm very hung up on him. Sometimes I hate trail cams he's been within bow range of one stand during shooting light 3 times in November. Once I was in the wrong stand, once was guiding a friend on another property, and once I was at work.View attachment 254267

Good news and bad news he made it through rifle season. I'm hoping his stomach gets him in trouble during during our late archery season.
Buck of a lifetime for sure.

Got 20 minutes from the house realized I'd left my permit and waiver for the hunt at home that added 40 extra minutes. All good though always leave some wiggle room in my travel time. Just made my first stop at my favorite gas station Buc-ee's to refuel and grab some road snacks. Got a pound of hill country bohemian garlic jerky and a dried venison sausage along with a jalapeno sausage and cheese kolache for breakfast.20221208_075207.jpg20221208_074922.jpg20221208_075711.jpg

Got 20 minutes from the house realized I'd left my permit and waiver for the hunt at home that added 40 extra minutes. All good though always leave some wiggle room in my travel time. Just made my first stop at my favorite gas station Buc-ee's to refuel and grab some road snacks. Got a pound of hill country bohemian garlic jerky and a dried venison sausage along with a jalapeno sausage and cheese kolache for breakfast.View attachment 254301View attachment 254302View attachment 254303
Denton?

Very few people here have discovered them yet either. I went to Texas about 10 years ago and got my education on em

Are they even really kolaches, though? The kolaches I've had in Texas are barely relatable to the Czech originals.

On my way to my blind should be hunting by 3. We had our orientation were I learned Barton creek preserve was created in 1994 when a co-op for Austin developers bought three separate properties and gave them to the nature conservancy as mitigation or a offset for damage done to a endangered species the golden cheek warbler. Apparently the only place they nest is in the central Texas hill country. 5 out of the 6 of us showed up I was the youngest by 29 years good guy's though. We drew blinds and I got the exact one I wanted 6. I'm the only one on this piece of the Preserve a highway separating me from the rest of the hunters. Hunt manager seems like a nice and intelligent guy who said the hunting has been a bit hit or miss with all the abundance of acorns. He showed me my area and blind and just left it's officially go time.20221208_125358.jpg20221208_133515.jpg

Back