Turn in a poacher, get a license

Oak

Expert
By Charlie Meyers, Denver Post Outdoor Editor

What's it worth to catch a game thief? The Colorado Wildlife Commission will attempt to answer that question at its meeting in Steamboat Springs on Thursday and Friday.

"Poaching is a serious problem. I think we need to dial the discussion up a notch," commission chairman Rick Enstrom said of a discussion that will, among other things, entertain a proposal for rewarding those who report violations.

Under this proposed regulation, anyone who reported a violation of the so-called Sampson law or similar willful destruction of big game would be entitled to obtain a matching license for the species that was illegally killed.

Named after a magnificent bull elk shot by a poacher near Estes Park, the Sampson law provides accelerated penalties for illegally killing trophy animals. On a sliding scale, these fines often run to several thousand dollars.

Some game managers believe that providing a few extra licenses - no guarantee that recipients actually would harvest a bull elk or buck deer - would form a strong incentive for informants to come forward.

By best estimates, various forms of illegal hunting and shooting take a severe toll on Colorado's wildlife. The Division of Wildlife combats such acts through Operation Game Thief, an anonymous tip line that uses a toll-free phone number, 800-332-4155.

Anyone who witnesses a game violation in progress may contact a wildlife officer almost immediately by phoning the 911 emergency line, through which the warden may be contacted directly by radio.

Oak

I believe any incentives that are on a major positive note for the welfare of our game and its heritige is a step up....
biggrin.gif

Hunters shouldn't have to be bribed with free licenses to do the right thing. If this idea does anything to stop poaching, then we might as well throw in the towel.

Paul

the scum illegal`s who poach [javelina whitail] don`t have the money to pay the fines so it wouldn`t work in AZ.

I wouldn't take a bribe, but if that is what it takes to get these sh*t heads out of the loop, then lets do what ever it takes as long as it is moral...
wink.gif
eek.gif
wink.gif

I agree with most of you. It shouldn't take an incentive like this to get hunters to turn in poachers, but sometimes you have to sweetin' the pot a little.. If it helps, I'm all for it. Most of us would turn in poachers regardless...however it never hurts to feel appreciated..

CJCJ.. Your needle's stuck man.

cool.gif

I agree with you guys it shouldn't take a bribe to get people to turn poachers in...however it's not us they're targeting for the bribe. I believe most of us are going to turn them in anyways so with this we'll get more of reward. I think the bribe is targeting the folks that might normally just turn a cheek.. The ones that are borderline whether they should or shouldn't turn them in..I think it's a great idea overall.

that`s true Dan [needle stuck] and it`s staying stuck,the BIG threat to hunting,fishing,and the american way of life is overpopulation by ILLEGAL`S and if i sound like a broken record then that`s just the way it is ,they have destroyed the west valley and some day might reach that upscale place where you live. and back to the issue they kill anything to eat including BIG GAME.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back