Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Turkey Loads

BlackTimber

I drew a Utah Turkey tag for 05' and I'm stoked hump hump
But I have never hunted gobblers before and don't know what loads to get.
I'll be using my Benelli Nova. So anyone have any good suggestions?
Oh, yea. I don't want to get a new choke for it because turkey hunting in Utah is few and far between. I'll now be on a 3 year waiting period before I can even start putting in again :confused:

You may have to try a few different shells in your gun at different yards to see which one patterns best. I like Remington 3inch #5's. They do a good job. Ive also had good success with winchester.

What is your choke constriction on that??
I got pretty good results with my 835 and the Remington 4X6 3 inch load.Just like Kirk said try a few different shells and get the best pattern.

I have three chokes that came with the gun. open, modified or imprved (can't remember) and full.

Both of you suggested a 3" this gun shoots 3 1/2" don't you think that would be better? More bb's.

Use your full tube... There is a wide variety of turkey loads available and you could spend lots of $$ finding the perfect load for your gun...

My advice is to buy some buffered, copper plated turkey loads such as Winchester XX or Federal Premium in #6 shot...In a 3" or 3.5" shell they should provide a killing head/neck coverage pattern out to around 40 yards with a full choke...Fire a few at a turkey head target to check it out and make sure your gun shoots to point of aim...If you can consistently put 8 or 10 shot in the head and neck, you're in business...

Hey thanx Pygmy. I was planning on using the full choke in a 3 1/2 but I don't want to spend a ton of money buying several different brands patterning them.
I'll try the Win. since I have heard good things about that brand. Hopefully it will cover the head/neck on the pattern test.
Thanx

Same Gun

I turkey hunt with the same gun! I have patterned both #4 and #5, 3.5 inch federal turkey loads. I have had the best luck with #5's. ( few more bb"s) .You should be just fine with the factory full choke, thats all I shoot.
Hopefully this spring both of our Novas will be letting the led fly.
Good luck!

#5, 3 1/2inch thats what i use and have leveled a bird at 50 yards, never lost a bird yet.

I also switched from the federal loads to the Remington heavy shot. Ill let you know in 6 days how it works!

More pellets in the shell doesn't translate into more pellets in a turkey's head! Nor does the choke, necessarly. My best pattern came out of a 2 3/4" with a Duplex load of #6 & 4, modified choke. The 3" shells #6's, put 30 % less into the Turkey Target, even with a full choke! (30yds) I've only shot one turkey, but I dusted him!!!!!!

Blacktimber, these guys know what they are talking about... I shot a 3 1/2 fed. in my 870 and it sucked for patterns. I have tried a lot of different shells.. ie. lenght and shot size. You wont be wasting any money by buying a few different sizes and brands because if you think that what you have is good enough, it could cost you a tom in the field. I just shot my new 835 with some 3 1/2's that did poorly in the 870 but man they did well in the 835. Matter of fact everything I shot out of the 835 did very well from 2 3/4 to 3 1/2. I had a min of 38 vital hits in the target to 80+ And vital is in the cranium and vertibre. Remember all that loose skin on the neck wont result in a dead bird. I thought I would pass on some of the things that I have found and confirm what others have told you... Good luck and find another spot to hunt next year... Maybe Tex or MewMex. I would die if I had to wait 3 years!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back