Turkey hunting in Montana?

Wapitifever

Howdy all,
Myself and the old man are going to be heading out turkey hunting next weekend for opener. We've tried the past 2 years with no luck, last year we tried up by the CM Russell and the year before out by Ashland. We saw birds both times but blew it and we're never able to find more. We are debating whether to go Western near Trout Creek or go East again this year. We both live in the Bozeman/Ennis area and are willing to travel a ways. Not looking for an exact location on where to go this year, just looking for some pointers or general areas where people have seen birds or heard of them there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
James

Personally, I would go back to the areas you've seen birds and if possible, spend a couple days before season scouting, looking for roost tree's etc.

I wouldn't bother with those areas, I've killed birds in both but they are few and far between. When I lived in Bozeman I always went to Big Timber. Find water and cottonwoods, knock on farm doors, go to the bars/diners and just ask. Nobody cares about turkey's, you'll get some found this way.

Redwood is right, Hit a few diners and bars, generally works.. Mailmen, ups drivers too,any one thats out moving around covering country.Good luck......BOB!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back