Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

turkey hunting for beginners

Very very true about hunting open country. I live in MN and my first few seasons were in tight quarters, thick woods and hunting the edges of farm fields. Very few places in MN will give you a view greater than 200yds. No matter what I'm hunting, thats about when the hunt starts.

My first time hunting in South Dakota I was spooking birds from 400yds away. I couldn't believe it. My midwestern eyes were not used to spotting things that far away, let alone trying to be stealthy from that far away.

As far as decoy or no decoy, I hunted 5 years with crappy decoys that didn't help me get a single bird. It scared birds away, they held up blah blah blah. I still shot birds, it just happen to be on sets without a decoy. The first year I bowhunted, I went with a guy who had decoys that cost almost as much as my blind. We each killed a bird within 10 ft of the blind.

SInce that hunt, I've purchased one of those fancy expensive decoys. I've shot several birds over that decoy and all of them within 20yds. I've still shot others without a decoy, but it sure favors the decoy in my experience.

The only real constant is nothing will work unless the turkeys believe it. Decoy or not, the turkeys will tell you what they like. I think that is the number one thing that will make you a better turkey hunter. Watch the turkeys as much as you can. Some of the worst turkey calls I've ever heard have come from real hens and there is no better decoy than a live hen milling around in front of you.

Another tip is to keep your decoys at a 45 degree angle from you so when the gobbler comes in your not directly in his line of sight.

This is good. . also, the leaving the shooter and the caller backing out 40-60 yds is deadly too as someone had previously said. . makes the tom think you aren't interested. The # 1 thing is don't move. . .some come in gobbling like crazy, some sneak in quiet if they know a bigger bird is in the area. I also try to sit with my back against a tree that is wider than my shoulders if possible, especially on any public ground. . .this helps you not get shot from behind and is better camo if the bird is coming straight at you. All this talk is getting me fired up!! Come on April!

I like to walk and call (troll) in open forest units. I hear a gobble and set up. Merriams will come a long way very fast. There are normally a lot of windy days in the spring, make sure you walk and call into the wind to avoid bumping birds.

Why hunt into the wind? So you can hear their gobbles more easily?

Dont play with birds when scouting that you may hunt later on. All pre season calling does is educate the toms.

Sometimes you can get access to property that doesnt allow hunting "just to call" birds without the option of hunting them. Great spots for trying new calls or techniques.

You dont need decoys. They are fun to have and may help on some birds. Many times ive found them to be a hindrence, Ive seen just as many turkeys spooked by a decoy as committed. I find they are an asset when bowhunting simply as a distraction that allows you to draw your bow. Ive killed many dozens of birds all over the US without a decoy. Where you setup is far more important than having a decoy.

Experiance is the all time best thing you can use for turkeys and only time in the woods will help you with this.

If you get a hung up bird. Stop calling, moving will work too but you run the risk of the bird seeing you. Just shut up and see what he does. Get him to lose patience first. May sit there for an hr, wait for him to gobble and start moving befor you call again.

30 yrs of turkey hunting and Im not convinced you can over call 99% of toms. On rare occasions you will run into an especially wary bird which will require special tactics. Most wont. Let the bird tell you what it wants by how it responds.

Dont let anyone tell you a turkey wont do this or you cant call a bird across that. Ive seen turkeys fly from one mountain to another, fly across rivers etc etc to get to calling.

There are exceptions to every rule of turkey hunting. Dont get hung up on them.

Some of the "worst" turkey calls Ive ever heard came from wild hen turkeys

Hens will strut and can even sorta gobble, make sure its a legal turkey befor shooting

Last edited:
Yes, the sound of your call carries further downwind than you can hear a gobble coming into the wind. It is amazing how far a gobbler can see movement in open areas. If you have just called he is apt to be focused on your location. I always call just before I crest or move around the point on a ridge. I try not to call unless I am next to a tree or other place I can set up immediately. I have made the mistake of calling in an open area and did not have time to find a good set up spot before a gobbler came in. If possible I will set up at an angle that will put the gobbler in range once he is where I can see him and he can see me.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back