Turkey fan mounts

mdunc8

Do any of you have pictures of the fans you've mounted? I'm going to make the plaque myself, but I'd like to see some others to get some ideas. Any suggestions for a particular wood/stain for a Merriam?

Here are a few pics of an Eastern and Merriams I did some years ago.

Attachments

• Eastern Turkey Tail.jpg
    Eastern Turkey Tail.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 23,690
  • Merriams Closeup.jpg
    Merriams Closeup.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 12,137
  • Merriams Turkey Tail.jpg
    Merriams Turkey Tail.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 5,732
Yes. I could have done a better job looking back at the pics now. I have done some more recently and have the plexiglass thing figured out now.

This is an old fan (15 years old) but I have always liked the feet and beard hanging. Now looking at it, I need to clean it up a little and get the dust off and straighten the feathers out.

S4200340.jpg

That looks great, but there is no way my wife will let me throw the feet up with it. How did you secure the fan between the two plaques?

After I got my bird this year, I did some searching on the internet to get ideas on how to do mine. I found that I did not really care personally to have the feet included in the display. I did see one that cracked me up though. The hunter had taken one of the feet and mounted it to the plaque holding the shotgun shell that he had shot the bird with. The other foot, he had let it dry so the outside toes were curled under and the middle toe extended..."flipping the bird." I thought that was pretty funny and a unique way to include the feet. I am sure your wife would nix that for sure.

These are the two that I have done traced an old plaque from a deer my grandfather shot that now hangs in my office then used a 4 inch hole saw to make the center piece and cut another 4 in round piece into quaters to give space for fan and beard. Used a hot glue gun to mount fan and beard then finsih nailed the two plaques together. pretty simple really.
Good luck let us know how you do.

Attachments

• mer.jpg
    mer.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 4,809
  • east.jpg
    east.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 5,094
After I got my bird this year, I did some searching on the internet to get ideas on how to do mine. I found that I did not really care personally to have the feet included in the display. I did see one that cracked me up though. The hunter had taken one of the feet and mounted it to the plaque holding the shotgun shell that he had shot the bird with. The other foot, he had let it dry so the outside toes were curled under and the middle toe extended..."flipping the bird." I thought that was pretty funny and a unique way to include the feet. I am sure your wife would nix that for sure.

Ok if you find tht again I wanna see that sounds funny

The bird

I found a pic of the mount awapiti mentioned.

FU_Turkey_Tail_26104337xx.jpg

Now thats funny. :hump:You gotta love creativity. .

Yes. I could have done a better job looking back at the pics now. I have done some more recently and have the plexiglass thing figured out now.
Can you tell us your method for cutting the glass?

Good stuff so far. Here are a few of mine - I left room for an Osecola and a Gould's on the wall :)

I found a guy in MN that makes the 'State-shape' plaques and have used them for the ones downstairs - as I have a very loose plan to attempt the super-slam some day. Will PM his website if anyone is interested. They aren't hard to make if you have any level of woodworking skills (I do NOT, but my nephew is a carpenter so I bribe him).

The ones in my office and basement are on homemade plaques (Colorado is a very easy plaque to make). Same as above - once the fan is fully borax'ed - I've just used Hot glue inside a piece of thick folded cardboard and then gluedboth sides of the cardboard to the plaque. So far so good.

IMG_0515.JPG

Back