Turkey Contest!

Mountain Boomer

Common Guys/Gals!! Lets make this worth at least a 6-pack.

1. Must be a registered member of Hunt Talk.

2. Length of beard plus the length of both spurs will determine winner.

3. Measurements will be on the honor system.

4. You can enter one bird.

5. $1.00 entry fee.

6.All entry fees must be post marked by February 28.

7. Pictures of the turkey must be posted. If you don't have access to a scanner you can send me a picture and I will post it. (If it is bigger than mine, it may get lost in the mail...
biggrin.gif
)

8. Winner takes all!!! (In case of a tie, the first bird entered wins.)

As for as the measurements, measure the beard from the base to the end of the beard. On the spurs, draw an imaginary line down the edge of the leg and measure from the line to the tip of the spur. Just like you score a whitetail's G2s and so on.

There is also two mouth calls that go to the winner that were donated by Arkie 55.

[ 23 April 2001: Message edited by: Mountain Boomer ]

I want some of this !!!!!!

I would like to make a couple of suggestions or rather ask a couple of questions.

Why not score the turkeys on the NWTF scoring system, it will help eliminate 2 or 3 from having the same score.

I would also suggest that it be limited to the FIRST turkey taken.
The reason being that some people may be limited to only one turkey per season.
I wouldn't consider it fair or sportsmanlike if I have three chances to win and someone else has but one.

It's your show and I know you have been talking about it for a while.
Don't want to stick my nose in where it doesn't belong.

I was waiting to see who the competition was going to be .
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Chambo

gunslinger.gif

IF IT WAS EASY EVERYBODY WOULD BE DOING IT !!!

QUITTERS NEVER WIN AND WINNERS NEVER QUIT
http://www.hunttalk.com

Chambo, your input is always welcomed!

At first we were going to have a scoring system similar to the NWTF system. We decided to eliminate weight since some species are larger than others and we would be compairing all species. The NWTF system makes the scores larger by multiplying the spurs by 10 and the beard by 2. I think we need to keep it simple like we have it, as to the scoreing. I am open to suggestions on how to break a tie.

Since DKO is already entered I think the rules need to stay the way they are. This was the set of rules we decided on to keep it simple and if you go changing them in mid stream that only causes problems. I agree that someone who can kill four has a better chance. Heck, I can only kill 2...
biggrin.gif

guys, however you want to score them will be fine with me!!!! i really dont think it matters to much, if it gets close well we will make the winner buy the runner-up a tie-breaker beer!!! i will be mainly hunting osceola's and there typically smaller than easterns and rio's so im doing it for the fun!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison
fef8b783.gif.orig.gif

I'll know in a week or so if I got a spring turkey permit. In Wisconsin we have a lottery drawing for turkey permits. I'll get in if I get a permit.

Hey guys lets give a big thanks to Arkie55!!

Not only will the winner be able to buy a 6-pack w/ the new entries but, he is going to receive two mouth calls that Arkie is donating! A Triple Reed Cutter and a Triple Reed Split V! His son makes them.

Once again a BIG THANKS to Arkie!

MB

Boomer,
Glad you brought this back up. Won't be long before ole Tom will be beckoning us to hit the woods again. Count on me to send my buck. You know I'm planning to sweep this and do it with one eye closed.
biggrin.gif

Chambo makes a good point, because I could legally kill 4 birds and just keep on entering them. I suggest we limit everyone to one entry, regardless of where it is killed or how many different states/places someone hunts. Also, if a multi bearded tom is killed, the length of the longest beard will be the only one used for scoring. As for ties, I think first bird with same score should be the winner. It's easy for guys in my situation to kill birds and wait to enter them until the end of the contest, hoping to finally kill one bigger than the leader. It only seems fair that the guy that was willing to enter his bird first should win.
These are only suggestions. Everyone else needs to put in their thoughts, too. SR

------------------
3.gif

..."The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been"...

Boomer,
Why do you think I carry black paint in my vest?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

It's up to Boomer, but as far as I'm concerned, you can kill one out of the country and enter it if you want to, as long as it is one of the NA species.
wink.gif
Why do you ask Timberman? Are ya planning a hunt to the land of the B&C turkeys, just to win Boomer's pot?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
SR

I think I know where Timberman is heading on this one.........he's thinking of a honeyhole we left in Missorri last year.....Birds everywhere!

Look ol' Raghorn up the next time you go Timberman....he's not too far fron there, and a finer fella you'll never meet!

Shadow, gotta through some browns in your paint collection!
DS

Kirk, I haven't received it. How long ago did you send it? My wife and I left this weekend and when I got home the mail box had been hit w/ something. My mail was still there but, that doesn't mean some didn't fall out. If I don't receive it in the next few days I will put your dollar in. I sure hope its just not arrived yet. I will post it if it comes in.

[This message has been edited by Mountain Boomer (edited 01-30-2001).]

Kirk, I talked to my wife and asked her if it came in the mail today and it did. So the new list as of 01/30/01 is:

Kirkl
DKO
Boomer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back