Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Truth Of Forges

Sytes

Forged In Fire. Yep. I don't watch t.v. but when I do... It's Forged In Fire.

What's truth and what's fiction? I yammered with my wife over the last show and I've been given the green light to explore the process for crafting knives, etc.

I'm a DIY crafter and thinking I can build the forge though this is my first stop to learn about forges and efficient designs. Has to be a couple of you that are active knife/other makers... Tips?

Saw this on Amazon and the price makes it... tough for my time spent to DIY craft. DIY crafting for myself results in chasing / fixing my own F-ups. though the end result is always satisfying - (Haha! I said "always" - ya, right!)

Considering a DIY job - something similar to this:

1614902993547.png

Thanks in advance.

Pretty good article w/ links.

Liked the videos Zach. Thanks.

May build off a 20 - 30# propane tank or build a side drop door... not sure. I've a couple projects to clear from the garage before I'm authorized to take on another project.

I purchased that same forge a few years back after having used my homemade single burner for about 6 years (occasional use - just tinkering and making a knife, coat hooks and other simple stuff). The 3 burner deluxe multi use/farrier has worked out perfectly for me and as you could imagine I use it waaay more often now and end up turning to it for uses that I could not with my single burner homemade (mostly due to box size and power/heat).
It costs a few bucks (I think on up over $500 now) because the TV shows and YT tutorials have made fans into fanatics - you can find blacksmithing classes just about everywhere now and it has become a tad "trendy". This is bad for pricing, but good for availability and knowledge sharing imo.

Anyway, my forge can get way hotter than I would ever want or need though when cranking it up, it can be a bit of a gas hog. I use a 100lb cylinder and fill it about twice a year or so unless I'm really cranking out some pieces for a larger project. If you buy one of these, pickup a good fire brick or two that you can use to slow or choke one of the ends when necessary depending on your project.

I do think it would be fun and a good experience to build my own 3 burner though I'm not regretful at all that i bought this one. If you end up building, please post about it, I'd love to see it!3-BURNER-FARRIER-DELUXE-1.jpg3-BURNER-FARRIER-DELUXE-2.jpg3-BURNER-FARRIER-DELUXE-3.jpg

As a former horseshoer, I would think you should be able to find a used coal forge cheaper than you would be able to build one for if your are on a budget. Just my 2 cents. It's been awhile since I looked at prices though.

my dad was a farrier when he passed away I got his forge Which it appears to be the one you have pictured Ive been wanting to give it a shot and try making a knife of something but just haven’t got around to it yet

The 3 burner deluxe multi use/farrier has worked out perfectly for me

For Matt or anyone.

What's the benefit of the framed sidedrop door? Is your common use involve that access point? When closed, does it manage w/o any difference of a fully enclosed 3 burner?
Thanks. It's extensive additional fabrication (for a hobbiest). Curious the bang for the buck.

Also you mention the three burner is a whooped of heat. Excess? Would two burner over that length distribute heat at a quality / desired level?

Last, 100 lb propane tank is a behemoth to transport for refill.
Would 2 50lb tanks work? Pro/con?

Last edited:
As a metallurgical engineer and former college-hobbyist blacksmith- propane is expensive and slow, coal can be a pain (temperamental) and burn your pieces, and you don't need an anvil- just an anvil-shaped object. A lighter hammer you can aim is better than a heavier hammer you can't, gloves lead to bad burns, and ringing steel is hell on hangovers.

I built my own forge. Not tough at all. I used an old propane cylinder, the small one. Bought the fire proof insulation on Amazon and the stuff to build the burner at the hardware store.

Attachments

• 20171127_153417.jpg
    20171127_153417.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 34
  • knives1.jpg
    knives1.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 34
@elkantlers Those knives are fantastic looking for a home forge! In fact from the pictures - if I didn't see your cool DIY forge, I would think those knives are fantastic looking... period. Great way to share gifts, etc. My hope.

I saw the Youtube on using the typical bbq sized propane cylinders for DIY forges. Very tempting.
Thanks for sharing.

My pop was a horseshoe (farrier*) too.
His forge, when he used it, was an old brake drum.
He welded three legs to it, filled it with coal scavenged from the railroad yards nearby and attached a blower and motor out of an old pick up heater.
Get 'er going and she'd melt steel! LOL! Well, you could get horse shoes plenty hot enough to set easily.
Then it fell over and almost burned the wooden bed out of his 1962 Ford F100, 6 cylinder, 3 speed on the column pickup, it was a shop fixture.
But it worked well!

If nothing else, google "simple forge". Betcha they got some pretty easy ones.

* - sitting in a bar, a guy asked him what he did for a living.
Pop answered back, "I'm a farrier."
Guy gives him a sideways glance and says, "I'd keep that to myself in this bar."

This biggest thing that improved the quality of my knives is this 2x72 belt grinder I built. When I first tried making a knife I used a little Delta 1" belt sander. It worked but was super slow. With this grinder I can smooth and cut bevels in no time.

Attachments

• 20180303_144641.jpg
    20180303_144641.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 20180309_175730.jpg
    20180309_175730.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20180309_175720.jpg
    20180309_175720.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 20180517_171110.jpg
    20180517_171110.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 22
I enjoy the show too. Makes me think of my grandpa teaching me how to add/remove temper and make knives out of old files when I was a kid.

Whenever they use the hanging pig carcasses for the keel test, I always hope they carve some chops off and grill them up after the show.

What are the base essentials to get on the road towards crafting knives, etc?
Fuel tank
Forge
Anvil
Quench bin
Belt/grinder
Mallet(s)
Welder

etc...?

I've watched "Forged In Fire" a few times.
I find it comical that the socalled "experts" want some specific task performed in an abbreviated time frame.
I want to ask them, "Can YOU build a really nice blade in one hour?"
I'd wager not one of them could do much better and they want to judge the contestants abilities?

This brings to mind the old saying, "We the unwilling have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much for so long with so little, we are now able to do anything with nothing!"

What are the base essentials to get on the road towards crafting knives, etc?
Fuel tank
Forge
Anvil
Quench bin
Belt/grinder
Mallet(s)
Welder

etc...?
All the above except a welder. I have one, but don't use it for knives. I've never made Damascus but I think it would help in that process. I also use a Oxy/Acetylene torch but I wouldn't say it's essential.

You probably should have a drill or drill press. a Bench vice is very useful also.

A few things you have to buy, but most things you can make or get by. Pretty much anything that will hold liquid can be used as a quench tank. I started out using a piece of railroad track as an anvil. Then made an Anvil out of several pieces of track.

20180127_130905.jpg

I made my forge out of one of those helium tanks you get at Walmart. There are a few different designs that are super easy to make if you have the tools to make them. One note about forges though, is that if you're going to use ceramic wool you need to coat it. Otherwise, the fibers can get blown out of the forge during use and that stuff is bad juju for the lungs (or so I've read). You can make a burner from pipe fittings and a welder tip pretty easily, or you can find them pre-built on eBay for about $15. At the end of the day, once I bought everything to build my forge (wool, refractory, fire bricks, burner, etc.), it probably wasn't much cheaper than buying one.

For propane, I use the smallish (20lb?) tanks from a grill. One tank lasts me a pretty long time. A forge that is running properly shouldn't use that much propane. I run my forge at about 5psi and it gets hot enough to forge weld.

A 1x30 grinder with good belts can get you going until you decide if you're serious about the craft. A 2x72 is night and day different though). As others have pointed out, an anvil-shaped object will suffice. I went to the local scrapyard and found some giant hunk of metal off a plow or something and used that for a while.

If you don't want to deal with quench and heat treat yet, you can send your knives off for professional heat treat. This will ensure a quality heat treat at a desired hardness. I sent a batch off to Tru-Grit and it was $10 per blade. They'll need to know what kind of steel you used, so I would recommend buying steel from one of the various knife supply companies. I've used USA Knife Maker, Pops, and Texas Knifemaker Supply for various stuff. If you're going to heat treat your own, you can get some leaf springs from the scrap yard for less than good steel would cost.

@elkantlers That anvil is now a fun top priority! I want to put one together for sake of the DIY sweetness! Practical and style points! I have a good Miller Mig / Aluminum spool welder so good there.

Can't get over the character that anvil holds! What height for the strike plate best suits a person.... Say 6', in your opinion?

What i've seen recommended is to stand up straight with your arms at your sides. Make a fist with one hand and the height of your knuckles should be about right, maybe a touch higher than that. I'm 6'1" and that gives me about 32". The surface of my anvil is at 33" and feels good to me.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back