Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Trump Jr and his feedback on Interior secretary pick

Outdoor Junkie

Hello all,

I know there are a lot of people losing their shit over the potential pick of McMorris Rodgers for the Interior Secretary. I'm a Trump voter who isn't very happy with this pick either. With that said, it's encouraging that we have such a strong supporter in Donald Trump Jr. If this election proved one thing, its that he values the feedback/ opinions/ advice from his Children as much or more than anyone else. Personally, I would have been happy to see Trump Jr. as the pick for Interior secretary as I believe that his leadership experience combined with his passion for the outdoors would be great for the outdoors community.

I'm not trying to spark a politicial argument about Trump.... God knows that's been hashed out enough. I'm just wondering what others think about the Trump Jr. affect on the future actions of the Interior department.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/09/politics/donald-trump-jr-siblings-hunting-interior-secretary/

Chuck

Well, just so we are all on the same page....

Are his kids going to be helping him in the Administration, or are they going to run Trump Enterprises?

I'm not sure that matters. His kids will still talk to him and advocate for what they are passionate about, even if they are running the Trump family businesses. It appears as if Global Warming is a key agenda point for Ivanka Trump. I don't see that changing, even if they aren't officially part of the Trump government.

Well, just so we are all on the same page....

Are his kids going to be helping him in the Administration, or are they going to run Trump Enterprises?

I'm not sure that matters. His kids will still talk to him and advocate for what they are passionate about, even if they are running the Trump family businesses. It appears as if Global Warming is a key agenda point for Ivanka Trump. I don't see that changing, even if they aren't officially part of the Trump government.

Will Trump still talk to his kids, and advocate what he is passionate about, even if he is running the country?

Hello all,

I know there are a lot of people losing their shit over the potential pick of McMorris Rodgers for the Interior Secretary. I'm a Trump voter who isn't very happy with this pick either. With that said, it's encouraging that we have such a strong supporter in Donald Trump Jr. If this election proved one thing, its that he values the feedback/ opinions/ advice from his Children as much or more than anyone else. Personally, I would have been happy to see Trump Jr. as the pick for Interior secretary as I believe that his leadership experience combined with his passion for the outdoors would be great for the outdoors community.

I'm not trying to spark a political argument about Trump.... God knows that's been hashed out enough. I'm just wondering what others think about the Trump Jr. affect on the future actions of the Interior department.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/09/politics/donald-trump-jr-siblings-hunting-interior-secretary/

Chuck

Too late....

Hello all,

I'm not trying to spark a politicial argument about Trump.... God knows that's been hashed out enough. I'm just wondering what others think about the Trump Jr. affect on the future actions of the Interior department.

Chuck

Totally disagree with Junior being a good pick for interior secretary...for the obvious nepotism reason for one.

Secondly, just because he's a hunter doesn't qualify him to run the interior department. There seems to be some fantasy that a guy that hunts will do the right thing for the outdoors, wildlife, etc. Bigger question would be what are Jr's policies in regard to the RMP process, NEPA, and the entire host of other legally mandated Natural Resource Policies?

Just because a guy can gut a buck, doesn't mean they are qualified and know jack chit about Resource Policy and how that policy impacts the land, hunters, backpackers, wildlife, economics, business, etc. etc.

I seriously doubt he knows chit from clay about resource policy.

Is it a bad thing that he hunts and appears to have an outdoor ethic? Not at all, and I hope he does have some influence over his father, who absolutely hasn't a clue about hunting, conservation, or anything else that has to do with same.

Trump is the polar opposite of an outdoorsman or conservationist, in action and in policy (up to this point).

Like everything else about Trump, its going to be a big guess and a "wait and see"...which shouldn't give anyone a warm fuzzy.

Last edited:
My perception is that the Trump boys will be busy running the Trump businesses. P.E. Trump likely has explained to them that he and the Republican party will be making America great AGAIN ? and one plank in the platform to do so is transferring all that federal public land BACK ? to the states to re enforce states rights and allow the states to capitalize by exploiting those resource laden public lands. After all the Trump boys and others interested in hunting may buy tags or sign up for the Utah Trophy Mule Deer Auction and Raffle or hunt trophy elk in Montana on the Wilks Wildlife and Beef Empire, which will include the Durfee Hills as well as other prime habitat which has been auctioned off to balance out the 406 tax plan and the bolstering of the huge wildfire suppression fund.

The only voice that might possibly make any difference would be a coalition of outdoor recreation industry businesses. My fear is that the populace of hunters and outdoor recreation enthusiasts will be categorized and lumped in with the "liberal" environmental "green decoy" organizations. We have a huge challenge growing in front of us.

Last edited:
The title of the article is "How Trump's son's passion for hunting is shaping search for Interior secretary"

Did you read the article? Based on the pick for SOI the answer to that question is "He don't give a crap about his son's hunting!"

That was a very poorly written and researched article. One person I know looked at it and concluded that hunters shared McMorris-Rodgers opinion on how the lands should be managed. It just cemented in her mind how horrible hunters are... i.e. only want wildlife around if they can kill it.

rg

The Great Falls Tribune article stated Zinke met for a half hour with Trump and discussed national security issues, sportsman rights, land use, and Indian affairs. It did not sound like it was anything close to a discussion about the Secretary of the Interior position, but perhaps there was more to it than reported.

A half hour would seem a bit short for discussion of a potential cabinet appointment.

I should have clarified. My advocacy for Trump Jr is that I thought he would be better than the reported pick. There are certainly a lot more people who would be better picks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back