Caribou Gear Tarp

true 30" muledeer

RUTTIN

just curious how many people have seen or been lucky enough to take a true 30" muledeer

Have never taken one wider than 28.5, but I think I've seen a couple in that 30+ size. Can't be sure though.

I have been fortunate to take a 30" mule deer. When I shot it it measured 32". I measuered it not long ago and it has shrunk to just over 30" It is a 4X5. I measure the widest point inside the rack. I shot it in colorado in 98.

ElkhntinMD

Forgot to mention when Elk hunting unit 16A in Az last year, myself and another bowhunter I met, both seen a georgious mulie buck. I had him 10 yds in front of my ATV as I was riding a trail back in one of the ereas. This deer was seriously pushing the 30" mark. He just stood there looking at me for like a full minute. Archery deer closed the day before! The other archer saw the same buck and confirmed it was definately pushing if not a 30 in Mulie! It's rack was like a whitetails versus a mulies though! It didn't have the branches on it typical of mulies! But, man was it a georgious buck!

ElkhntinMD

I have seen one. It was definitly wider than 30" but lacked on the tine length.He was probably a 160 point buck. It was in the Tucson mountain bowhunting park in AZ. Saw him 3 times but never got a shot.
The last day i was hunkered ,doe and my buddy was working in above him. He was supposed to make a push towards me and he was really noisey. I heard him drop his arrow 3 times, fall, ect and the fricking deer ened up running right up past him instead. He didnt have a large peep opening and could not see him, so he winged one instinctivly and missed at 30 yrds.
mad.gif
That place used to be good hunting but is pretty much shot out now, so i dont mind telling the location
biggrin.gif

Here ya go......

wyomuleyII.jpg

...he had 15 scorable points, 8x7...a lot of split tines.....

......note, I added at least one pic before the sun went down
wink.gif
....don't wanna get turned in!
hump.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-24-2003 09:45: Message edited by: Deerslayer ]</font>

Elkhunter, your memory is shorter than .... well, nevermind. I have a mule deer hanging over my fireplace that is 30 inches inside. Elky's seen it, so has Del.

Elvis1.sized.jpg

THIS IS ELVIS!

cool.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-24-2003 10:41: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

I've got a 6x6 that's 29 1/2". It's the bigger buck on the Hunttalk Family page. I'm not sure if I've seen one while hunting that would go 30", but another hunter brought one out right past our camp 3 years ago: a 30" 3x3.

Oak

One of my regrets is that when I lived in Western CO during the early and mid 70s I didn't shoot a big mule deer. A 30 inch mulie was fairly easy to find when the heavy snows started about the first week of November most years and we didn't really consider them anything unusual. Mulies were so common I didn't even consider them a challenge to hunt and I hardly paid any attention to them. I shot a couple around 30 inches just for the meat and didn't even keep the horns. I guided some guys to some 30 to 34 inch bucks, but we kinda considered those sizes as being good enough for the dudes, but not real trophies. We considered a trophy only bucks over 35 inches. I was looking for one about 37 or better but never really tried too hard cause I was busy with my career at the time and usually had spent a lot of time elk hunting and guiding before the snow and migration started. That kinda buck would have had to be a non-typical with sticker points going sideways. We did see lots of nice non typicals on the winter range.

Then, the way it turned out, I had a chance to sell my house for a lot more than it was worth. So I did and moved to ID before I ever got around to a serious big mule deer hunt. A serious hunt meant going up high near Rifle when the snows started and dealing with about 2--3 feet of snow for a few days watching a migration route.

You could drive between Craig and Rifle after Thanksgiving and see thousands of mulies and lots of bucks over 30 inches. I know it sounds unbelieveable now, but there was some incredible mulie hunting back then in Western CO. The Book Cliffs were fairly well known for good mulies, but there were lots of bucks everywhere. So many we didn't know how well off we were.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-24-2003 18:01: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

I've only seen one buck that was even close to being any time near hunting season that was over 30" wide. He was hangin out about 2 miles away with a herd of about 15 does. He was at the very top of a mountain and we were lookin at him through the spotting scope. Too bad it was a few days before deer season opened or we would have put a stalk on him. By the way, that was in August of last year.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-24-2003 22:39: Message edited by: trophy_killer ]</font>

check out my website and tell me what you think of these bucks
web page

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-25-2003 03:01: Message edited by: RUTTIN ]</font>

Those are both "Almost" bucks. The one in back is about 33 inches wide but lacks mass and is missing a forth point on the left side. The buck in front isn't as wide, but has great poinst and a couple of kickers. He, like his partner seems a little on the lite side. It could be that they are both 4 year olds and haven't gained the mass of an older deer. Could also be that they just live in an area where light antlers are the order of the day... He is closer to being a Booner than the second one.

Well now... I clicked on "spottingscope" and looked at all of them. There is one buck that may make book. Can you tell which one??

cool.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-25-2003 06:26: Message edited by: danr55 ]</font>

I gotta figure out how to post a picture for you guys to see. In 1974 I shot a big 7 X 6 non-typical muley in Gunnison Nat'l Forest, CO. He is (was) a biggie.

But several heads mounted at Wall Drug, SD are wider.
Jack
smile.gif

YES! In excess of 34", although I can't prove it. Missed an easy running shot at shotgun distance - Not one of my "finer" moments. I still see this deer in my dreams (nightmares)and this miss was in 1987. I've got a 27" 3x4 at home that I took several years ago, and a 29+" 4x4 that I found (lion kill I think) back in '95. -memtb

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-10-2003 22:28: Message edited by: memtb ]</font>

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back