Caribou Gear

Tripod help, binos or spotter?

TheSleepyHunter

I'm looking to get my first spotting scope, and I've noticed several people recommending a tripod with their binos(I have the vortex razors 10x40). Is it possible to use the same tripod for each?

Any tripod recommendations? I mainly hunt UT but am starting to get tags in WY and Idaho too. Majority of the time I'm day hunting, but occasionally backpack in for a few nights. Since the spotter will be the heavier of the two the tripod would obviously need to be sufficient for that, yet I'd like it to be as light as possible. I'm willing to spend good money if it's possible to "buy once cry once", say up to $1000. Any wisdom from those that have "been there, done that" would be very much appreciated. I've never used anything other than binos around my neck and don't want to spend money on a bunch of mistakes but rather a sweet setup to last for years ahead. Thanks in advance!

Been there, yep. To answer the first question, with the correct adapter you can quickly go from binos to scope on the same tripod. Vortex makes a good bino adapter and tripods. You need to realize tripod quick detach mounts are many different sizes depending on make and model. So get an adapter for binos and matching mount for tripod. I use my binos way more than the spotter and often leave the spotter and use binos on the tripod for glassing. (best case scenario hunting partner packs a scope) If you are only looking to find game I prefer binos on a tripod. What you will gain with spotter is the ability to judge animals, count points, mass etc. Unfortunately, the very best spotters will be over $1000. However, I've heard both Leupold and Vortex have offerings under a grand and will get the job done.

I use a promaster xc325c and a outdoorsman micro pan head for my main glassing setup. It's lightweight and I use it for my 10x42, 15x56s and 65mm spotter. It does get a little shaky if its windy if you are at full extension with the 65mm spotter. I also use a slik 700dx and that thing is built like a tank. I use it with my 85mm spotter no problem or any other optic for that matter. It just weighs a little more then my carbon fiber tripod. Its my backup tripod and if I am just glassing from the road, it is my go to. A lot of people in the coues hunting world like the outdoorsman tripods, which are in the 400-500 dollar range. I drank the koolaid on their mirco pan head and I really like it but 500 dollars on a tripod is a bit steep to me. My 200 dollar carbon fiber promaster hasn't let me down yet. The outdoorsman does have their own mounting system which works quite well and you can switch between optics quite quickly. Binos on a tripod is a game changer when glassing for critters.

Thanks this helps a lot! Sorry I should've been more specific, I was thinking to keep the tripod budget to under $1000...I didn't realize how many options there are out there and how quickly they can get up there in price!

I'm not sure what to do for the spotter (angled or straight), so far I'm considering on the list-
- Vortex Razor 85 or 65
- Leupold Gold Ring HD 60, Gold Ring 80, or the new Santiam HD 80
- Kowa 77
- Zeiss Conquest Gava 85

glanced at tripods and got overwhelmed even quicker - haha, so I thought I'd start there especially since I could also use that with the binos

I think slik makes the best budget tripod. This is only my opinion. Also tripod heads can get overwhelming. I use I $100 dollar manfroto

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back