Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Trip to Yellowstone

warmer

My wife and I are thinking about a trip to Yellowstone next week. Sept 9-11. Pretty much spur of the moment idea. Are we crazy to show up with very little planning? Taking 35' fifth wheel camper. That crazy too? She surprised me with the idea, I've been wanting to go (bucket list thing) but never pushed the idea much, so hate to say no. Can we still find campgrounds close?

I highly doubt there are any campgrounds empty anywhere right now. They have been booked out all summer, usually a couple months in advance with covid. Dispersed camping is always pretty unbelievable this year. Call around and make reservations if there are any open if you want to be in a campground. Maybe check Airbnb or something like that for a place to park a camper. Or try the dispersed knowing that some people having been living at the good spots all summer.

It wouldn’t stop me from going though.

Like Dsnow9 said start calling now to see if you can find a spot, Yellowstone is definitely worth the trip. My only suggestion would be to wait about a month, I have been through there twice in October and both times there has been little to no traffic or crowds and you can cruise through the park at your own speed and not have to worry about getting out of someone’s way. Whether you decide to wait or go now it’s worth it, just go.

Go on Recreation.gov and check out Red cliff campground, I just looked and there is some openings for the dates you want, also there is a couple of other campsites around that might have some spots ope, as for Red Cliff, it's close to Big Sky on hwy 191.

Even with as busy as it’s been this year, you won’t have any trouble finding a spot to camp at that time of year if you’re willing to go outside the park Up to 30-40 miles.

Paradise valley has several campgrounds to choose from, Gallatin Canyon is another spot with a bunch of campgrounds.

September is an awesome time to visit the park, enjoy and spend some $ in the surrounding communities, especially Livingston 😉

My wife, who is a travel agent, just booked a trip for a local couple to Yellow Stone. They left on Friday.
She didn’t have any trouble getting them lodging in and around YS. Not sure what the campground situation is, but there’s several around. We pulled our 42’ to West Yellow Stone last year. Good jumping off spot.

When you get there, if you go down to Jackson to wander around, across from the square there’s an ice cream shop huckleberry ice cream is a must. I wanna say north east corner. Beautiful place.

We were in Yellowstone in August, finding a pace to stay in the park was tough. My wife, kids and I ended up staying 2 nights at the Yellowstone Big Rock Inn. I would stay there again. Outlaw pizza was next door and had pizza that a fella can eat more of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskeyRiver
Back