Caribou Gear

Trigger Pull—Hunting versus Target Shooting

I never touch the trigger until I’m on the target. I have never shot with gloves on either although a few times my finger was so cold I may have been just as good with gloves. My rifle is a carbon fiber Nosler 30 that only weighs 6 pounds. I think the heavy trigger pull is affecting the accuracy though. Obviously the accuracy is my fault but lighter trigger pull will probably help. You guys bring up good points. Having a 12 oz trigger pull seems extremely low but I could see that being good for really long shots.

Last edited:
I have no clue how many pounds the triggers are set to on all my different rifles. I don't have any that are so heavy that they cause accuracy problems. I only have one that is so light I feel obliged to mention it before I hand the rifle to someone.

As long as it is a nice crisp break on the trigger and I am familiar with the trigger pull on the rifle I am shooting, I don't have issues.

It depends how much trigger time you have. If you never shoot or only fire 20 rounds a year from a scoped rifle 3.5 lbs on an average weight sporter is fine for all. If you shoot alot 2lbs or less is fine.

When hunting, I wear mid weight liner gloves most of the time and put chopper mittens over them when it’s really cold. I leave the liner gloves on when shooting. I also tend the wear those same liner gloves at the range just so I have consistency.

I don't know how much difference it makes if you are used to where it is set. My subconscious and muscle memory kicks in when it is killing time. I don't remember actively controlling my breathing or deciding to pull the trigger once my crosshairs are stable and the animal is broadside. It all just kind of happens.

My hunting guns are now almost all 1.5 - 2 lbs. Once you get used to it it’s hard to go back to a heavier trigger. Much easier to be a good shot with a lighter trigger and some guns will miraculously become more accurate with a light trigger. If you practice enough you’re unlikely to go off prematurely...
True in more than just shooting rifles...

At the range I’m most accurate with a 2 lb trigger pull. However for hunting I have always been told to stay with 3-1/2 lb minimum so I don’t get excited at the big buck in my scope and prematurely fire before I’m ready. Adrenaline factor, I guess. I’m starting to hunt at longer ranges now though, and thinking about adjusting my hunting rifle down to 2 lbs. What are your thoughts on this?

This may be obvious, but if you are suffering from adrenaline overload, I would work on that separately. I don't think it should preclude you from a nice crisp trigger.

At the range I’m most accurate with a 2 lb trigger pull. However for hunting I have always been told to stay with 3-1/2 lb minimum so I don’t get excited at the big buck in my scope and prematurely fire before I’m ready. Adrenaline factor, I guess. I’m starting to hunt at longer ranges now though, and thinking about adjusting my hunting rifle down to 2 lbs. What are your thoughts on this?
My rifles are both set at 2.5 lbs. That's what I practice and hunt with. That being said find a weight that you feel most comfortable with and go with that.

Don't see them on many hunting rifles, but I think a big part of the accuracy of my Rock River Arms AR-15 is the 2 stage trigger. Best of both worlds.

On a single stage trigger I think mine are all around 2.5 lbs. We practice quite a bit with a Ruger 10-22 and it has a pretty heavy trigger pull. It does take some adjusting to go back to the lighter triggers after spending a lot of time with it. I probably need to get it's trigger replaced or adjusted so it isn't such a big difference.

I had a rifle that was about 3.5 lbs and I shot ok with it, but would sometimes be a little inconsistent and send a shot a few inches one way or the other every now and again. I adjusted it down to 2.5 lbs and my consistency has improved dramatically. I didn't think it would have made a difference, but it did and I enjoy shooting the rifle a lot more now.

When hunting, I wear mid weight liner gloves most of the time and put chopper mittens over them when it’s really cold. I leave the liner gloves on when shooting. I also tend the wear those same liner gloves at the range just so I have consistency.
I like the half-length midweight liners with choppers over the top if needed. Unless it gets really cold, keeping your wrists, palms and first 2/3 of your fingers warm actually helps keep the tips reasonably warm too while still having full feel.

The lighter trigger pull has improved my groups at the range. It’s really noticeable at 600 yards+. By this fall I will have shot enough rounds that it’ll be better for hunting too. Im at 2 pounds now and may go down one more step. It’s kinda fun messing with it. Feels like a brand new rifle!

Don't see them on many hunting rifles, but I think a big part of the accuracy of my Rock River Arms AR-15 is the 2 stage trigger. Best of both worlds.

On a single stage trigger I think mine are all around 2.5 lbs. We practice quite a bit with a Ruger 10-22 and it has a pretty heavy trigger pull. It does take some adjusting to go back to the lighter triggers after spending a lot of time with it. I probably need to get it's trigger replaced or adjusted so it isn't such a big difference.
Indeed. I have been shooting my Nosler 30 but I need to adjust my other hunting rifles trigger pulls to match. My Nosler 30 is my “go to” hunting rifle but I also hunt with a few other rifles every now and then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back