Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

tricky bullet pulling

Dougfirtree

Any advice for pulling some bullets that are seated so deeply that the puller is only grabbing on the ogive? I'm using one of those RCBS pullers that screws into a press, like a die. I haven't had any luck using it on these. Would I have better luck with one of those hammer puller things? All advice welcome...

Reactions: CB1
I love inertial pullers. I broke several until I got the RCBS one that has the handle molded in piece. Buuut - RCBS only sells a couple of sizes of collets to grip the base of the case.
I buy the multi packs of collets made by Frankford Arsenal. They fit the RBCS hammer perfectly and give you more choices in terms of finding the right collet for your caliber.

Also- put some soft wadding in the toe of the hammer to soften the bullet catch. Then you will not bugger up the secant.

If I am pulling fine ball powders like H110, I cover the round with cellophane before I screw on the cap. This helps contain the power from going everywhere when the bullet lets go.

In a pinch, you can use your regular RCBS shell holder with the inertial bullet puller. It doesn't grip the case tightly so you can damage the case.

Do you need to keep the bullets? If not I just use a press. Take out the die, insert loaded case into shell holder, put it up until it’s sticking out the top of the press, grip the bullet with vice grips that sit flat on the top of press, hold on tight and bring down case.

Do you need to keep the bullets? If not I just use a press. Take out the die, insert loaded case into shell holder, put it up until it’s sticking out the top of the press, grip the bullet with vice grips that sit flat on the top of press, hold on tight and bring down case.

I’ve never thought about that. Good idea

I have had issues of the bullets slipping in my rcbs bullet puller with the press. I found that the collet needed to be cleaned. Cleaned it and problem went away.

If you hit the inertia bullet puller onto something dense (I use a lead ingot), it works better than just hitting it on concrete or a piece of wood.
Yup. I keep an auto body working steel block next to the puller in the toolbox. Hold it in your weak side hand, keep your fingers out of the way and whack.

I’ve never thought about that. Good idea

Side cutter pliers work for that too.

s-l1600.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back