Trespass Fee?

I'm not local to Wyoming but I don't need to pay a trespass fee because I understand how to hunt in the west. I just don't get why you would. Antelope are easy to get tags for even as a non resident and easy to harvest even with limited knowledge.
I'm going to make some assumptions about you and shaffe.
1 You guys dont live in the west or are fairly new to hunting the west? Less than 10 harvested animals?
2. You joined hunttalk to LEARN.
3. You have lots of free time judging by the fact you have both been members for less than a year but north of 150 posts?

I say these things not to be offensive but because you seem to be arguing a point with a perspective that is completely backwards from everybody I'm surrounded by in the west.That lead me to believe that you are from States that are predominantly private ground and are approaching pronghorn hunting from a different perspective.
You guys can certainly hunt however you want but you should know you're just throwing money down a hole and In the process making Western hunting a rich man's sport.

Well, personally I wasn't planning on paying a trespass fee to hunt but rather to cross land in order to hunt on public land. I don't say I disagree with anyone's perspective on here but I personally don't think it's productive to shame how individuals gain access to their hunting land whether it's public land, personal connections, gifts, services, cash payment, or begging and pleading. Yeah, obviously some methods benefit some over others but welcome to just about every aspect of life I know about.

I suppose Antelope Dundee appears fully capable of defending himself. As far as me, I was willing to pay the fee because faced with the reality of trying to hunt our federal BLM land I realized the most of it was intentional landlocked by ranchers and local governments and I naturally wanted to at least try to hunt most of the land that belongs to us even if given the reality means I might have to pay to do it.

In the 4 states I have lived in, Ohio and especially Michigan and North Carolina actually have vasts tracts of public land which is readily accessible. Of course, many of the landowners and locals seem to think they own it and can run the show. The difference between these states and Wyoming is not that we don't have public land as you suggest but that we tell the locals and surrounding landowners to pound sand when they try to restrict access. In general, most of our acreage does not have public access to roads intentional cut off so that most of our acreage can be landlocked by private land.

In many ways, it's really irrelevant how things are done in Wyoming or how backwards my logic is to them because the land is owned nationally and I have as much say to it as anyone. I disagree with how things are done with Federal land in Wyoming and believe it should be done the way it is here with open access to the public with public right aways. Enough said.

And as far as how often I post, well I guess I'll post as much as I want...in all do respect.

If my hunting comes down to paying a trespass fee I will take up bowling.

Well, personally I wasn't planning on paying a trespass fee to hunt but rather to cross land in order to hunt on public land. I don't say I disagree with anyone's perspective on here but I personally don't think it's productive to shame how individuals gain access to their hunting land whether it's public land, personal connections, gifts, services, cash payment, or begging and pleading. Yeah, obviously some methods benefit some over others but welcome to just about every aspect of life I know about.

I suppose Antelope Dundee appears fully capable of defending himself. As far as me, I was willing to pay the fee because faced with the reality of trying to hunt our federal BLM land I realized the most of it was intentional landlocked by ranchers and local governments and I naturally wanted to at least try to hunt most of the land that belongs to us even if given the reality means I might have to pay to do it.

In the 4 states I have lived in, Ohio and especially Michigan and North Carolina actually have vasts tracts of public land which is readily accessible. Of course, many of the landowners and locals seem to think they own it and can run the show. The difference between these states and Wyoming is not that we don't have public land as you suggest but that we tell the locals and surrounding landowners to pound sand when they try to restrict access. In general, most of our acreage does not have public access to roads intentional cut off so that most of our acreage can be landlocked by private land.

In many ways, it's really irrelevant how things are done in Wyoming or how backwards my logic is to them because the land is owned nationally and I have as much say to it as anyone. I disagree with how things are done with Federal land in Wyoming and believe it should be done the way it is here with open access to the public with public right aways. Enough said.

And as far as how often I post, well I guess I'll post as much as I want...in all do respect.

I had someone tell me years ago that those ranchers actually brag about having exclusive access to landlocked public land. Bastards.

I assure you that Wyoming has many times the amount of accessible public land then the states you have mentioned. In fact a small percentage is actually land locked. You have some very confusing statements here that lead me to believe you have chosen a unit where there is very limited public access? That's your choice but to think that is how it has to be? I'd like you to know that it's not.
I feel as if I'm parking in the grocery store parking lot watching you guys pay to park in a lot across the street. You know it's free to park over here right?

I assure you that Wyoming has many times the amount of accessible public land then the states you have mentioned. In fact a small percentage is actually land locked. You have some very confusing statements here that lead me to believe you have chosen a unit where there is very limited public access? That's your choice but to think that is how it has to be? I'd like you to know that it's not.
I feel as if I'm parking in the grocery store parking lot watching you guys pay to park in a lot across the street. You know it's free to park over here right?

In the area I choose to hunt access to a non-resident type 1 tag is harder than access to public ground.

In the area I choose to hunt access to a non-resident type 1 tag is harder than access to public ground.

Again a choice, its probably an easier hunt. Cool.
I hunt for the challenge. That's why I have some drinks mounted in the house and some "trophies" in the shed. I forget the details of the easy hunts and will remember the times I have overcome seemingly insurmountable odds.
Some just want an easy hunt. Enjoy

Is that because they think pronghorn compete with cattle for grass? Why do they think they are a nuisance? I read that some of them think they eat all the grass.

I guess misguided management philosophy is another reason why these ranchers should not be able to influence game management outside of their privately held lands.

I did not ask that question. My perception was just that they viewed them as common place and valueless and they just didn't want to deal with pronghorn hunters until the more "valuable" deer hunting was done.

Again a choice, its probably an easier hunt. Cool.
I hunt for the challenge. That's why I have some drinks mounted in the house and some "trophies" in the shed. I forget the details of the easy hunts and will remember the times I have overcome seemingly insurmountable odds.
Some just want an easy hunt. Enjoy

Frankly, you should be happier than a pig in a new mudhole that some of us choose private land. Means less competition for public land. Also I had an offer to hunt private land for free in western WY, but I refuse to wait 6 years and pay for preference points in order to get a tag. In my experience having hunted both there is no difference in a hard or easy hunt for public vs private land. I do a fair amount of walking and have arthritis issues so there's little point in making it purposefully difficult.

Last edited:
never would even consider paying a fee for a lope buck let alone lope does (hand shake and case of beer completely excepable). As far as # of hunters and buck size public/private you guys are clueless, remember there are more antelope than people here. I think elkmagnet wasnt far off on this one... happens every year, all the "experts" from other states surface, usually midwest. To each there own and if your willing to pay and makes you happy so be it but eventually it will be downfall of access as you will be priced right out of same situation you now embrace and help create. 5 more days till i hunt antelope on public land!

never would even consider paying a fee for a lope buck let alone lope does (hand shake and case of beer completely excepable). As far as # of hunters and buck size public/private you guys are clueless, remember there are more antelope than people here. I think elkmagnet wasnt far off on this one... happens every year, all the "experts" from other states surface, usually midwest. To each there own and if your willing to pay and makes you happy so be it but eventually it will be downfall of access as you will be priced right out of same situation you now embrace and help create. 5 more days till i hunt antelope on public land!

Fee based hunting in the west was created long before I started hunting out there and it hasn't gotten any worse or any better for me since then. I could probably strike some real nerves if I started a thread about outfitters and how much they charge for the same lopegoat. Tree fitty seems like a bargain compared to $1500 on up for a "guided" hunt. I'd give a local a couple Bens to take me out to a good spot. Unfortunately all the ones I knew have died or moved away.

There are a lot of school sections in WY that are public land. Best to check with the local BLM/county land office to make sure that they are still public when you get there. In WY every 10th section belongs to a school district which they usually lease out to generate revenue.

The "school section" must be have access. Many sections are landlocked.

good luck to all
the dog

I know a lot of guys do better than I do but I've harvest 15 idaho elk in the last 16 years all on public all but 2 were over the counter tags and most were bulls with a bow. My wife has taken numerous elk in that time also. I cannot possibly eat more big game meat and I've still managed to maintain my regularity.
:eek:

You need an apprentice !? :)

You need an apprentice !? :)

Whoa whoa whoa... back off brasco, don't edge in on the rapport I'm building with elkmagnet.

If you had been following the thread I was clearly trying to become the apprentice, my negging was obviously working, go talk to greenhorn...

Originally Posted by antelopedundee
There are a lot of school sections in WY that are public land. Best to check with the local BLM/county land office to make sure that they are still public when you get there. In WY every 10th section belongs to a school district which they usually lease out to generate revenue.

Don't know how you came up with that number! Actually Section 36 in each township in Wyoming is the state land you're referring to as a school section, not every 10th as you stated!

Last edited:
Whoa whoa whoa... back off brasco, don't edge in on the rapport I'm building with elkmagnet.

If you had been following the thread I was clearly trying to become the apprentice, my negging was obviously working, go talk to greenhorn...

While all this is very flattering I already told you guys my secret. I try to get as much insoluble fiber as possible. Other than that it's probably just my superior genetics.
I have no interest in getting into amateur proctology and would never recommend you take my advice.

The "school section" must be have access. Many sections are landlocked.

good luck to all
the dog

But they may be unmarked which means that you'll need to know exactly where the boundary lines are. Also check with BLM and county offices to satisfy yourself that the land hasn't changed ownership since the last time you were there. If it was public on a map 6 months ago make sure it's still public when you go to hunt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by antelopedundee

Don't know how you came up with that number! Actually Section 36 in each township in Wyoming is the state land you're referring to as a school section, not every 10th as you stated!

That's what I recall be told years ago.

I like to hunt. I like hunts where can get away from crowds but my days of packing in 100 pounds for a 5 day spike camp are in my rearview mirror. So, how do I get on hunts where can hunt within a mile of the road and not climb up 1000' elevation in that mile and not be looking at 20 orange vests as the sun rises? Well, I apply for a lot of 1% to 5% sort of elk and deer rifle and muzzie hunts that offer few tags and a lot of public ground though that strategy gains a lot of preference points and not many tags. I try to pick gentle terrain on those hunts but in some cases the hunts will be physically challenging and I can either hang up my backpack in the barn or can look to get a guide with horses. I prefer to hunt though and it that means with a guide so be it though is never the challenge on a guided hunt as when on my own.

A few states allow you to draw a 2nd choice or leftover or OTC and not burn points. Those tags generally are for hunts with large numbers of tags or not much public land with critters or both. Seeking access to private land where are fewer orange vests and fewer ATVs zooming along is more my style now not because I think for a minute hunting on private is a more challenging approach but because that approach is the one that works now for me to have a more enjoyable experience.

Last edited:
The first year I hunted antelope in WY (unit 24) was in 1985 and I paid $100 for the access fee on private land. Got a nice buck too.

Last year I hunted 24 again and paid $600 for access. To me LAST YEAR it was worth it......why?

Well.....

1) didn't know anything about OnX mapping system.
2) didn't know anything about goHUNT's Insider program and didn't know the first place to start to look for a place to hunt and a tag to put in for and draw.
3) didn't know anything about HT, Randy Newberg and all y'alls and all the great stuff posted on this forum
4) wanted as much of a "sure thing" as I could get since I was taking one of my sons hunting who had never harvested a big game critter.
5) the landowner contact basically fell into my lap via a friend from work and I didn't have to put in any time scouting or planning
6) the type 2 tag was available in late August......the idea of hunting in WY didn't even cross my mind until after the draw deadline had come and gone.

Now would I do it again? NEVER! Why?.......

1) found OnX mapping app...this is a no-brainer if you are a hunter
2) found goHUNT and was able to research units that assured I would be drawing a tag
3) took a scouting trip to my unit in July to find the good spots on public land as starting points
4) found HT and got some great advice from a fellow HT'er about the unit I'm in via PM's......not to mention all the great stuff y'all post on a daily basis about tactics, techniques, places, strategies, etc.
6) have a nice meat-packing pack now and don't have to worry about getting a critter out, no matter how far from the truck it is
7) made a couple of landowner contacts while I was scouting in July, and since I'm filling doe tags they were more than willing to let me hunt their land without paying an access fee

The thing is, everyone's circumstance is different and circumstances dictate tactics. Last year my circumstances dictated that I pay the access fee. This year, thankfully, my circumstances are totally different.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back