Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Treestands and Harnesses

+1 on screw in step in vest pocket. A good one that easily can be twisted in under duress. The extra strap for foot loop is also needed. Fixed stands absolutely use safety rope up to stand with Prussic setup. Most falls are getting in and out of stands. Check harnesses every year, I use HSS vests so check their buckle systems.

Leg straps, two of them. You can probably buy them seperate. All good harnesses should have them attached already. Or you could start saddle hunting.. I just started last year and I am a convert from lifelong treestand user. Your always connected to the tree in something you can suspend in indefinitely. No falls no suspension trauma. And no taking care of stands in the summer. I aint really told many people about it but if your worried about your stands/falls give saddle hunting a good look too. It changed the public land game for me. Actually shot a deer with a bow on public land. That's never been doable from the ground around here.

100% of the time I carry a sharp Kershaw in my right pocket- worst case I will cut my harness strap and take my chances sliding down the tree.

I use a Tetherd saddle for the most part now, but even with stands you should still have climbing sticks or screw in steps you can get your feet on if your platform fails. Climbers are the sketchier ones...

I ended up buying a wingman and I like it so far. Jumped off a ladder a few times with it and it works great.

No matter how I'm hunting, I always carry a razor sharp knife, a CAT tourniquet and a pack of quickclot In an outside easily accessible pocket. I figure everything else is a luxury but those few items could be pretty important if you ever were in an emergency

Speaking from experience…hitting the ground after falling from a tree stand is not a good option.
I don’t plan on ever hunting from a tree stand again. I bought a saddle and will get to use it next season, didn’t get the chance to try it out this year after the accident.
I’ve seen the tether strap that lowers a person down after a fall. Didn’t look into it much, but it might be what you’re looking for.

I've hunted climbing stands and lock ons for 20 years and a saddle for 2. I really feel safer saddle hunting. I'm always connected from the second my feet leave the ground until I return. I bought my ropes from Cruzr along with my saddle. I didn't realize how high quality real climbing equipment is! My old HSS ropes were janky and I wonder if they would've really saved me had I fallen, they were in good shape but obviously much cheaper lower quality materials.

I prefer to eliminate the hazard of falling by always being attached and no slack vs essentially just wearing PPE to save you after you do fall. The only way I'd hunt a regular tree stand going forward is if when it's set, it has a 30 foot rope permanently left on the tree so you can be attached from the ground up. My wife went to school with a guy that's now in a wheelchair because he fell out of his tree stand.

I believe the harness is meant to remove the lethal act of falling. I always took extra time setting up my deer stand. Whether it was extra straps or pegs. Falling was the last thing on my mind! I also used a shooting rail for comfort. Once I strapped a stand in, I wasn’t going to fall!

A properly secured harness saved my life for years climbing utility poles for work. I simply would not climb if I did not have a strap. Checking the integrity of the strap every time before climbing is smart and can give you additional opportunity to have (more) children in the future ;)

I’ve fallen about 15’ while setting up a stand (knot pulled through on my linemans belt) and I’ve dropped the bottom out on a climber and had to shimmy down. Neither incident was fun. There are so many variables and each accident is probably unique. Common threads are:

Always check tag ends of knots. Double knot them and even tape to prevent pull throughs.

Always be tethered. Use two ropes to allow climbing around limbs. Always have one engaged.

Always have platform tethered.

Keep three points of contact.

Always keep slack to a minimum.

Back