Tree stand hunting

mdcrossbow

Sunday watching a show on the hunting channel I saw where this guy put a tri pod up against a cedar and said "We have learned a few things from our Eastern hunting partners about getting above the deer"
Just wondering , how many guys out west hunt deer from the ground? Is it common practice to do so?
Here in Md it is very hard to get away with ground hunting, I've taken my share on the ground but prefer to be elevated.

I don't live out west, but I know where your coming from. Below are some pics from my South Dakota Mule deer bow hunts - as you can see, there isn't much opportunity for a 15 foot treestand. There is along the river in cottonwoods, but that is mainly where the whitetail & turkey live.

The main method of hunting the Muley's were sitting in ground blinds on the fields in the morning & evening. We also set up back over the ridges and waited for the deer to move off the fields and into the bush, and hopefully get close enough for a shot.

During the day, we'd head up the the big ridge (first 2 picutres) and spot & stalk the deer from up top. This was an awesome set up (other that the rattlesnakes out sunning themselves)

After you make your first stalk on a nice Muley buck and get within spit'in range without him knowing your there, you'll be hooked for life.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 148
I used to jump out of planes and helicoptors for a living, but you won't catch me in a treestand..lol Even growing up in upstate NY, I never hunted out of a tree stand. Plus, where I live now in CO, you're pretty hard pressed to find a tree worthy of hanging a stand in most of the places I hunt. Plus, I don't particularly like the steep downward shot angles a tree stand forces you to take, especially with a bow

I'll probably spend at least some of the archery season in UT in my Summit climber. Not tried it yet, but I've located a few isolated springs in/near timber that I'm thinking might allow for a shot.

Tree Stand for fun

In the Midwest, there is a large range of hunters who use both. Depending on the natural travel of the deer most people take the least path of resistance.
I personally will chose a Climber over most hunting practices. It allows for no presence in the woods hunting. Also nice to be able to move during the hunt if necessary.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back