Caribou Gear

Travel Trailer Size and Road Limitations

If your plan is to work remotely, you likely are going to need a decent cell signal from wherever you decided to unhitch for a awhile. Just be aware that there are pretty big swaths of country across WY/MT/ID where you won’t be able to get a cell signal. Especially if you get very far away from interstates and towns. That may negate your needs for your trailer to handle a lot of “off road” conditions.

I started looking at trailers a few years ago. My criteria was less than 25’; less than 5000 pounds and $15k. After the wife and I finished looking we ended up with a 28’; 7500 pounds and $23k...haha. It has a slide and bunk beds. Have used it quite a bit now through late November each year and I winterize it if it will get below 20 degrees. Get an Olympian wave 8 catalytic heater and it makes it comfortable without burning a lot of propane and run the battery down.

If your plan is to work remotely, you likely are going to need a decent cell signal from wherever you decided to unhitch for a awhile. Just be aware that there are pretty big swaths of country across WY/MT/ID where you won’t be able to get a cell signal. Especially if you get very far away from interstates and towns. That may negate your needs for your trailer to handle a lot of “off road” conditions.

Very good point. Even with an excellent cell booster, during my test this past week up at the Trinity Mountains and Mount Shasta, there was a pretty good section of the Trinities that I still couldn’t get any reception. The days away from reception I plan to be hunting on foot so you’re right that in the trailer I will probably not be as remote however much I might want to be.

Hi All,

Thanks all for sharing your real experiences and insights!

Pulled the trigger last week on a 2014 Outdoors RV 250RDSW (25' inside/30' total). It's certainly longer than I'd get if just a hunting rig, but it's the perfect space for living/working remotely (it seems so far) for 1-3 months during hunting season in the Rockies. With the 2 big labs, it might have been a little cramped if it was smaller.

Getting to test it out right away as my truck grenaded the fuel pump in the Arizona desert causing catastrophic fuel system damage. So I'm "camping" in Kingman, AZ while parts are shipped and a massive mechanical job is done. While 100+ on the side of the highway was not my ideal vacation, I am thankful it wasn't -16 degrees in WY in the back country with no cell signal.

As painful as it is, life is still good!

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_6529.jpeg
    IMG_6529.jpeg
    524.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6557.jpeg
    IMG_6557.jpeg
    608.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6550.jpeg
    IMG_6550.jpeg
    443.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6546.jpeg
    IMG_6546.jpeg
    544.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6534.jpeg
    IMG_6534.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 28
My priority is to be able to live in the trailer during Fall in gorgeous areas of WY/MT/ID for a few months of the year to take advantage of the ability to work remotely, and therefore have much better access to hunting than a 16 hour drive.

This is actually what i do mid aug- mid nov every year. I have a 16' cargo tandem trailer thats 6"over standard height with a rv door that i have insulated and wired it. I use a bucket toilet and a 10' canopy to complete camp. Run a small generator to recharge trailer battery daily, takes 45 minutes or so, i use a cpap at night so this is important. I get in some places i would never take a nice rv and it hauls my SxS to daily hunt with. I know my normal spots and try to camp in spot with or near cell rep so i can work. Take extra fuel in case sitting in truck for work for long periods.

Nice. Looking for a TT myself that I can pull with my F150. Need to be able to fit the four of us. Good looking trailer

By the way, I should be in the mountains and areas around Gallatin County, MT, for my cow elk tag and enjoying some general time working in the Rockies, so if work is slow I'm happy to tag along with someone who's got a bull tag in the area.

Cheers

Check youtube for a guy named "Slim potato head" He does a lot of videos of camping in a small space.

Nice. Looking for a TT myself that I can pull with my F150. Need to be able to fit the four of us. Good looking trailer
Check out an "A Frame" pop-up. My buddy has been bringing his to deer camp for 3 years now. I sold my converted 2 horse trailer and bought one for myself last year. Plenty of room and much warmer that the horse trailer. I added a 3 inch "lift kit" to mine for the ground clearance and plan on moving up to 14 inch tires this fall.

Related, does anybody have a good resource for off grid RVing? Basically, pretend I'm completely ignorant of solar panels, generators, batteries, water capacity, electrical systems because I am. Is there a one stop website/YouTube channel for noobs?
Google up expeditionportal. Expo trailer etc Those guys are crazy about that stuff. They have discussions about the right way to charge a damn battery like we do about the right way to heat up a mountain house. Be careful though they have opinions about mountain house that are just wrong.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back