“Travel” spinning rod for salmon

Magnum Sherpa

My Dad and I are headed to Alaska this summer to fish for silvers. I’ve been looking for a 8-9 foot spinning rod rated for about 12 lb line that breaks down into 3 pieces. I have plenty of 2 piece rods, but they would be a little cumbersome on the plane. I haven’t had any luck thus far finding what I’m looking for. Any idea where to find something like this?

Check with Greg’s custom Rods; Lake Stevens Washington. I have a couple of his two piece rods, very good work. He may be able to come up with something for you.

Fenwick makes a great travel rod. I take mine to Kodiak every year. It has a lighter tip section and heavier tip section to fit your needs.

We are flying into Yakutat and staying there for a few days to fish for halibut in the ocean and salmon in the streams. Then we fly into a lodge on the Tsiu River to fish for silvers for 4 days. I’m really looking forward to it.
Great area, it’s been a while but I’ve fished there quite a bit. If your timing is good with the run timing you could hook 100 fish in a day.
If I was still guiding down there I’d get you on a fly rod for part of the day, an 8wt floating line. If you’ve ever had a notion to try a fly rod, silvers will teach you plenty.
Either way you’re going to have fun.

Great area, it’s been a while but I’ve fished there quite a bit. If your timing is good with the run timing you could hook 100 fish in a day.
If I was still guiding down there I’d get you on a fly rod for part of the day, an 8wt floating line. If you’ve ever had a notion to try a fly rod, silvers will teach you plenty.
Either way you’re going to have fun.

I second the fly rod option, and there's plenty of 4pc 8-9wt travel rods that will be perfect for silvers. Take a smaller fly rod for big rainbows and dollies, and have a blast!

Back