Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Traumatizing fish

Bigjay73

Was reading some back and forth between C&R guys and guys who keep fish. It turned into a discussion about how traumatizing it is for us to hook and fight a fish, and how some of the anglers felt guilt over catching fish. Seems like there's a simple solution to clearing your conscience if you're feeling shame when fishing, but do any of you believe fish feel trauma and fear? Should fish and game set up therapy sessions for previously hooked fishes? Are we going to hell for torturing trout, bullying bass, picking on perch?

Last edited:
The only trauma I'm concerned about is the hemorrhagic type. If bleeding bad enough I keep em, if not back they go.

To answer your questions:
No. Only if I get to participate with a redheaded female biologist. Quite possibly.

Was reading some back and forth between C&R guys and guys who keep fish. It turned into a discussion about how traumatizing it is for us to hook and fight a fish, and how some of the anglers felt guilt over catching fish. Seems like there's a simple solution to clearing your conscience if you're feeling shame when fishing, but do any of you believe fish feel trauma and fear? Should fish and game set up therapy sessions for previously hooked fishes? Are we going to hell for torturing trout, bullying bass, picking on perch?

I'm friends with a guy who grew up in Montana, a real smart guy, he just published a lengthy book about physical therapy. Years ago he said he caught a trout and felt so terrible about how the trout must have been feeling, that he never wanted to do it again, and that he couldn't believe how anyone else would do it either. I tried to explain to him that fish don't feel those feelings, that they are literally incapable of it in a physiological sense and that as a medical professional he should understand that, but he wasn't buying it. That interaction still disappoints me, and I still go fishing.

As Catch and Release has become the norm and fishing - fly fishing, especially, in MT - has become more popular, I find myself catching more fish with mangled faces, missing 'lips', and other clear hook wounds caused by barbed hooks, specifically their removal. Mangled faces are especially prevalent on a lot of Blue Ribbon rivers. Id be lying if I said seeing this hook damage didnt cause me to feel a touch of guilt and question what I am doing, enough so to keep me off most of the famous rivers for the most part and switch completely to tying on and fishing with barbless hooks (not even barbed hooks with pinched barb for me).

If l ever caught a fish l might feel guilt but as the worlds worst fisherman l never have to worry about it.

I would imagine a fish suffers the same physical trauma being held out of the water, as any of us being water boarded
It's not a good thing.
I'm trying to be cognizant of this when I catch and release.

Interesting. People on a hunting forum talking about the feelings of fish that are not killed after catching them.

Here is a solution. Tie a fly with no hook. After all the tug is the drug, right?

Uggh.

We frequently fish a lake in northern Michigan that is loaded with good smallmouth.
I'm more of a catch to eat guy so don't hardly pursue bass, but I sure see a lot of dead floating bass caught off the beds by the catch & release bass boat guys.

You can see them on their beds and they are rather easy to catch protecting the nest.
Obviously enough trauma there to kill a bunch of them.

I would imagine a fish suffers the same physical trauma being held out of the water, as any of us being water boarded
It's not a good thing.
I'm trying to be cognizant of this when I catch and release.
I don't think they have the mental capacity to feel that. Studies are mixed, but I just don't see that being the case. I couldn't catch fish if I thought there was emotion involved on their part.

Never crossed my mind fish having psychological trauma or fear. Seems ridiculous. But if someone plans on releasing fish, I think doing whatever necessary to ensure the well being of the fish should be first and foremost.
I'm trying to be better with keeping the fish in the water, quick picture, revive and release. ALWAYS wet hands before handling.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back