Transporting meat for friends and family back East?

samuel_284Win

At some point in the next couple of months, I would like to get some wrapped elk meat to friends and family that live in TN. I will be flying back there over the holidays so could always fly with some. Any tips and tricks for flying with meat and keeping it frozen for ~ 12 - 15 hours? If not flying with meat, how do you guys ship meat home if you live in the East?

Don't over think it, double bag meat in trash bags, surround it will towels or something that will absorb condensation.

Reality is if you bags are lost for a couple of days a cheap cooler isn't likely to save you, and a roto cooler can use up 1/2 or more of your allowed weight per bag.

You can also carry-on meat, I've put 30-60lb in a dry bag in a roller suitcase a couple of times.

Anchorage to Boston
1667846926750.png

Denver to Boston
1667847042415.png
1667847053227.png

I buy cheap 50qt coolers, They will about 50lbs of meat. if frozen solid, it will be mostly still solid 2 days later. If fresh and cold, it will be fine 8-12 hrs later. Tape it up.

I ship fish to my family every year. Frozen solid, in an insulated cardboard box. It goes USPS priority, gets there in 2 and sometimes 3 days and is just starting to thaw, but most all is still frozen solid. On an airplane when I take fish/meat home, its in a trash bag inside a cardboard box. stuff some newspaper around it. It will barley start to thaw, even after 6-10hrs of flying.

I just shipped 20 pounds of moose to my parents in NY. I packed it in a styrofoam cooler inside a cardboard box. I packed the cooler tight and put 2 pounds of dry ice in with the already frozen meat. I shipped it fed ex ground, which is 3 days, and it arrived to them still frozen solid. Second day air was going to be $202, but ground was only $46.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back