Trail cam

mtmuley

I asked this years ago but never got into the trail cam game. Interested again and I bet things have changed. So what is the reccomendation for a reliable, easy to use economical camera? mtmuley

I use Brownings for work and play with good results. However, I'm wondering what you guys use that are getting good night photos? My night photos with Brownings leave something to be desired. I feel I'm missing some cool stuff....

I was gifted a Spy Point Link Micro cellular cam with a solar panel a few years back. It’s the only one I’ve ever owned, but it does the trick fine.

Cons: Night quality isn’t winning awards and there’s no video.

Pros: It’s very reliable. I left it out at some elevation last winter and it kept going fine.

I usually take the cellular antenna off as most places I’m interested in placing it don’t have service. Bought a little plastic threaded cap at the hardware store I place over the antenna mount to protect it from the weather.

Buy 1 of each of the top 6 people suggest here, put them out and se which one you like the best.

I've had really good luck with the browning refurbished cameras they sell online. They have a warranty even and are usually 50 to 60 percent of the new ones. With how many cams I've had stolen over the years I'm not interested in spending very much on cams anymore. Atleast for public land.

The best cams I've ever used are the Reconyx hands down. But they ain't cheap

I have had really good luck with the brownings. Purchased several in 2016/2017 and they all still work fine. Have a couple that been chewed on by bears one that went thru a fire. Several have been left out all winter and i think they all have damaged housings from abuse but all work still. Nothing fancy but work for what i need night and day mostly camera mode.

I'm with ya, Reconyx are awesome. But for what you spend on one, I wouldn't sleep at night leaving it unattended on public land.
I use the metal security boxes that Tactacam sells. I use lag bots to attach the security box to the tree and a small Master lock secures the camera inside the box. You can also use a Python cable lock if you want.

I have 4 of the Spypoint Link Micro cameras. I’ve used them for several years with no complaints. Like guns and bows… lots of good stuff on the market.

They all sh*t the bit eventually. I have some Cuddybacks out there that have run 1,300+ days on the same batteries with the solar panel. I would not recommend them in an area with weak cell signals.

Last edited:
They all sh*t the bit eventually. I have some Cuddybacks out there that have run 1,300+ days on the same batteries with the solar panel. I would not recommend them in an area with weak cell signals.
Step Dad uses the cuddebacks and has somewhat of a weak signal. Idk if it's the signal or the camera itself, but the picture quality is terrible imo.

browning refurbished cameras they sell online. They have a warranty even and are usually 50 to 60 percent of the new ones.
This worked great for my interest, considering the expense.

The trail camera market is saturated with options. I spoke with @drahthaar a while back when I queried the same as OP. Get what you pay for. Thus I went along the same path as EYJONAS, refurbished (same warranty) @ much less $$$.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back