Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Trail cam lock box

Brandon270

Wondering what you guys have as a set up to keep trail cams secure.

I don't have too much time for scouting this season so I thought putting up a couple trail cams on a blm spot I've hunted pigs this spring. This spot isn't used heavily, apparently this place is a "local secret" and I was told by a buddy there are guys who weren't too happy I found their spot. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to secure any trail cams I may put up.

Brandon, there is a company based out of Green Bay Wi that makes boxes for just about every camera on the market today.

Their website is camlockbox.com
or call them at 920-469-6881 they have helped me a number of times.

You can make your own boxes using electrical disconnect boxes found at Home Depot or Lowe’s. They have multiple sizes and with some minor cutting and fitting work great. Most even have a tab out the bottom for a lock.

You can make your own boxes using electrical disconnect boxes found at Home Depot or Lowe’s. They have multiple sizes and with some minor cutting and fitting work great. Most even have a tab out the bottom for a lock.

Huh. Never thought of this. This is a really good idea...

Nothing i just hide them the best i can or get cheap cameras for the high traffic areas. A lock box does nothing to a pissed off person who has ill intent. IMO i would only use them so bears quit eating my damn cameras. Some people swear by them though.

Nothing i just hide them the best i can or get cheap cameras for the high traffic areas. A lock box does nothing to a pissed off person who has ill intent. IMO i would only use them so bears quit eating my damn cameras. Some people swear by them though.
I can see having a box that much more noticeable to people passing by. The good thing is this place isn't accessed by typical hikers since there's no trailhead. I've seen pictures of guys run a cable through the back and lock it, that seems like it might make it more discreet than a bulky box.

I can see having a box that much more noticeable to people passing by. The good thing is this place isn't accessed by typical hikers since there's no trailhead. I've seen pictures of guys run a cable through the back and lock it, that seems like it might make it more discreet than a bulky box.

I would go this route and if you have tree steps just get them up a little higher so they would have to cllimb to get to them

Some spray paint and you can blend them right into the surrounding vegetation. I’ve seen some people go as far as using silicone to create bark like textures then paint it.
Boxes are most handy for bears and keeping most people out. Like stated above if someone is dead set on ruining your setup they probably will.

I use SpyPoint cameras and they have a ring on them that allows you to lock the door shut so that no one can get inside and steal your SD card or operate the camera (turn it off, delete your pics, etc.). What I do is simply put a padlock through the locking ring and attach it to a cable or chain that I wrap around the tree. The outside case of the camera is plastic, so it doesn’t protect the camera if someone decided to smash it with a bat or rock, but it’s worked for me with cameras on public land in both MT and UT. I also try to hide them as best I can. Sometimes I even have a hard time finding them, and I know where they are!

+1 on this. I have had several cams destroyed, not stolen. One of them had the camera card thrown about 10ft away and I just happen to almost step on it. ]It had some pretty interesting pics on it of a poacher. Yes it was a poached out of season spike elk being worked on by a couple of not so great shall we say native Americans. After finding my camera they destroyed it with a rock, pulled the card and tossed it.

I have not purchased a camera in a long time, have 7 or 8 and would never purchase anything expensive for this reason. Cameras for me are purely to see what populations, quality and animal density is running around in an area so high pixel, super sonic, every gizmo on the planet don't mean a thing to me other than a lighter wallet and pissed off when some joker comes along and decides to go postal on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandon, there is a company based out of Green Bay Wi that makes boxes for just about every camera on the market today.

Their website is camlockbox.com
or call them at 920-469-6881 they have helped me a number of times.

I have some of these and they have worked well. I use them mostly at bear baits. For each camera and box, I used a python lock around a tree and through the back of the box and a separate lock on the front of the box. You can also use some screws and screw the box to a tree from inside the box - but probably can't do that on public land.

I just hang without a box and hope they just steal the card...haha
I've had a tree cut down to take my locked one once. So I just gave up after that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back