Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Traditional Bear Hunt

Muley_Stalker

I've decided to just hunt for bear for whatever hunting I have left in this old worn out body. I'll keep it traditional and use a Hawken replica .50 with a round ball.

Our deer herd is hurting and i'll leave them alone. How many newborn fawns will be saved by killing a bear? I like the idea of having the whole month of Sept to hunt compared to just 9 days for deer or elk.

Some bear stew will be good next fall.

honestly I'm not so sure bears are making a huge impact on fawns but I'm likely wrong. Maybe 1 or 2?

I would wager coyotes kill far more than bears especially when coyotes significantly outnumber bears. To have an impact on coyotes you'd literally have to eradicate the entire population because removing only 1 or 2 creates a vacuum to recruit more coyotes.

Last edited:
honestly I'm not so sure bears are making a huge impact on fawns but I'm likely wrong. Maybe 1 or 2?

I would wager coyotes kill far more than bears especially when coyotes significantly outnumber bears. To have an impact on coyotes you'd literally have to eradicate the entire population because removing only 1 or 2 creates a vacuum to recruit more coyotes.
We're forced to buy a small game license now to be eligible to put in for a big game tag. So, coyotes are on my kill list too. I'll stake out every gut pile I run into. We can kill as many coyotes as we want and the season is all year long. I'll be doing a lot of coyote hunting during the year and all of Sept it will be bear.

A predator after predators. :)

I can't imagine any bear would pass up easy meat. Especially, in the fall when they're trying to fatten up.

I don't hunt them because they eat the fawns. It's just a perk for killing them. I always hunt for the challenge and meat. Only for that too. Zero interest in any trophy. Even when I manage to kill a trophy I give it away. It sure makes it easier to get tags.

I don’t disagree. But I’ve read that bears are extra good at finding fawns and calves due to their insanely powerful sense if smell. 7 times stronger than a canine I think . ??

I've decided to just hunt for bear for whatever hunting I have left in this old worn out body. I'll keep it traditional and use a Hawken replica .50 with a round ball.

Our deer herd is hurting and i'll leave them alone. How many newborn fawns will be saved by killing a bear? I like the idea of having the whole month of Sept to hunt compared to just 9 days for deer or elk.

Some bear stew will be good next fall.
Please keep updating on your progress. I'd be interested in how you did.

I will but I have to warn you. My units aren't very good for bear hunting. Not a lot of natural food for the bears to get fat on.

I have 30 days to try and find one and then get within 50 yds. Which is my max distance with primitive sights. More challenge = more reward.

I can't imagine any bear would pass up easy meat. Especially, in the fall when they're trying to fatten up.

I don't hunt them because they eat the fawns. It's just a perk for killing them. I always hunt for the challenge and meat. Only for that too. Zero interest in any trophy. Even when I manage to kill a trophy I give it away. It sure makes it easier to get tags.

I can't think of any instances where bears were not major factors on ungulate fawns, particularly black bears. Be it moose, deer, elk, they are all preferred prey of bears in spring and early summer everywhere I have seen data. I would bet they are much bigger predators, per capita, than coyotes.

I just did some research on it. They did a study in PA and bears came out ahead of coyotes for killing fawns.

Colorado says one bear will average 43 fawns in the spring. Times 17,000 bears.
I think bears kill more elk moose calves and deer fawn then they get credit for. I love bear hunting would hunt them regardless of the impact. Saving a few moose calves is just a bonus

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back