Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

TPLO Surgery for my Lab

MT_BWHTR

Having a little too much energy and fun in the snow last week, my 8 year old Black Lab tore here CCL in her back leg (similar to ACL in us). It would appear our best option is the TPLO surgery, but the vet can't get her in for another month. Anyone else have any experience with this they would like to share? I worry about things starting to heal up, and make the situation worse in that amount of time. As much as hobbling on 3 legs doesn't seem to bother her, I hate seeing her limp around the house for that long.

Thanks in advance!

Our Lab/St. Bernard mix has had it done on both back legs when she was 8 & 9. She's 12 now and still handles 2-3 miles per day on the trails despite degenerative spine disease on top of being a little gimpy in the left leg. The second surgery didn't get the same level of recovery as the first.

Rehab is crucial to getting your buddy back to full steam. Don't skimp on any of it, and be sure to do lots of swimming as it's low impact on the knee. Keeping an active dog calm and settled during the first week or so sucks, but follow the vet's instructions to the letter and you'll have your dog back and kicking butt within the prescribed amount of time. Good luck!

The rehab is definitely the most crucial part. I would strongly recommend finding someone in the area that does cold laser treatments and have the injury treated after surgery. My parents dog had the same injury (suffered while running across a lake ice fishing) and had the surgery. He healed ok, but always seemed to be a little sore after exercise or cold days. They started doing cold laser treatments on him and he has made unbelievable improvement. It's 100% worth the money to find someone that will do that for you.

If you have her on low impact, I don't see a month being too long. Also, being in the offseason now, there isn't much rush. If you trust your vet, I'd wait. If you don't, I'd find a new vet and get a second opinion.

Had both legs done on our Boarder Collie. We also had to wait several weeks to get one of them scheduled, with no ill effects that I can see. The danger there is the dog may appear to be improving during that time as the inflammation from the injury subsides, and you may think you can get by without the expensive surgery. We couldn’t. As noted above, the recovery and rehab are the biggest keys to success. The many weeks of limited mobility are really tough, especially for energetic dogs, but keeping to the program is critical.

Thanks everyone for the info. It'll be a chore keeping a Lab off her feet.... especially one with the "go" of a 2 year old. Visited with the Vet again today and they are not concerned about the wait, but will put me on a call list if other appointments cancel.

My lab had TPLO surgery on her back legs when she was 4 and 5. The vet said when the first rear leg needed surgery to start saving money for the other leg since they usually go out shortly after the first. They were right. She has fully recovered and has 3 hunting seasons in our mucky marsh chasing ducks. I was worried the muck would stress her legs out but it hasn't been a problem. It is great to see her happy with a duck in her mouth again!

One of my Vizslas had TPLO surgery @ about 18 months, 10 years ago. We were diligent in limiting activity, per aftercare instructions. She has not needed surgery on other leg to date. Very good outcome.

Last edited:
My lab had TPLO surgery on her back legs when she was 4 and 5. The vet said when the first rear leg needed surgery to start saving money for the other leg since they usually go out shortly after the first. They were right.

Yep. Same with ours. Save up for the second one!

Third vote here to start saving for the other leg. Been through that as well. Very careful rehab will minimize this chance, but the risk is high. The risk in waiting a month is development of arthritis. If you can keep the dog inactive this will likely be a minimal issue, but seriously inactive (never off leash). For me, keeping them inactive in recovery stage is the most crucial part, then swimming as mentioned above. No chance of abnormal healing over that month wait. A TPLO basically does away with the need for the CCL. It creates a more supported joint by cutting the bone and rotating the top portion. Make sure you find an experienced vet/surgeon, and do your part to rehab it correctly and all will be well. (I mention the experienced surgeon part because I had one done that was botched and had to remove the dogs leg in the long run)

Agreed, i would anticipate needing surgery on the second leg. If its never needed...Great! But don't be surprised if it is.

I'm certainly no expert, but i wouldn't worry about things healing up and making things worse. With the TPLO, they literally cut the top of the lower leg bone off, and rotate it so that the angle between the joint isn't so severe. Then the screw the top of the bone in place at the new angle. This eliminates a lot if the stress that is normally placed on the CCL.

I had a very hard charging lab. Did both legs, and he was as good as ever for the next 7 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back