Toyota 22re engine help.

I got some help with the project.

Well, I had one wire plugged in the wrong spot.

There is one place where a previous owner jumped over on the hot side for the neutral safety switch instead of replacing the switch I imagine. I had one of the ignition plugs plugged into the NSS spot instead of the ignition ignition coil.

Also fuel pressure was at 15 pounds.

Waiting now on a new fuel pump and filter to arrive.

Well, another update. It's been a long time coming, but I have been messing around with the project.

I have the emissions delete done, have it running ok. I am to a point where I have tested it offroad in an old pit where the kids ride dirt bikes.
The 4 wheel drive works.

The big issue I have found so far is that it will not idle cold, so it takes a minute to warm up. I think this is a product of the emissions delete, May have missed a vacuum plug somewhere... not sure yet, not the end of the world either. Once it's warmed up it does good.

Since the last update, I got sick and the project sidelined, but I have been able to get a new alternator in. I think I have the leaks fixed in the power steering, but will still watch that and may have to replace the pump. I do have a couple real small leaks coming off the timing cover, so I need to put some silicone on a couple bolts there.

Always let the auto choke do it's thing. Mine always did better when I let it warm up.
I do the same thing with my 2 trucks now.

Well, I got the truck up and running. It's doing pretty well. I need to replace a few hoses this week, but overall, I think I got most of the leaks fixed.

The cold idle issue was a large vacuum leak where I took off the smog pump. I plugged that off and it fires right up and idles normal.

I have been running it around town, but next week will take it to the hills close to the house for a bit more of a test.

I'll post pics when the wind quits. Haha.

Rock on! I've gotten two new fenders installed on mine, and I need to replace the front wheel bearings and cv axles next.

Toyota 4 cylinder motors in the 22 series were very good to me. I never had a problem. I had an '83 SR5 pickup that I bought from the original owner. It had after-market wheels and tires, but no mods. It was not lifted but taller than stock. Towed a boat with it and drove it everywhere for years. It got stolen and totaled by somebody that couldn't steal the wheels alone (wheel locks on EACH lug...'-). I did okay with the insurance, but it still pains me. I miss that little Toyota! Good luck with yours!

Just an update. Using the 4 runner in my winter lion camp this year. I brought it down (40 miles) from home the first weekend in November. It's seen a couple hundred miles so far this fall lion hunting. Doing well. I will take it back home in the spring and fix or replace what needs it then.

Attachments

• 20221112_120548.jpg
    20221112_120548.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back