Tow/Recovery straps.

I have changed my approach over the years and my view is dont get stuck in first place! I try to camp/park in easier places and sxs or atv thru crap. With that said, sh@t happens so always have several straps and shakles in a bucket, 2 tire chains, truck claws and keep a spade shovel in truck at all times. Try not to use but most places i would get stuck there likely wouldn't be anyone to help me anyways, self sufficient!

YUP!
I have a "Ditch Pig" I'm not sure it's 20 or 30 feet long and rated to pull out a tractor...
BUT get some GOOD "D" rings Not hooks.

All that said,
A Kinetic rope should not be used to "Tow" a vehicle down the road. They stretch and contract like a rubber band, to Tow use a Tow strap.

Last edited:
YUP!
I have a "Ditch Pig" I'm not sure it's 20 or 30 feet long and rated to pull out a tractor...
BUT get some GOOD "D" rings Not hooks.

All that said,
A Kinetic rope should not be used to "Tow" a vehicle down the road. They stretch and contract like a rubber band, to Tow use a Toe strap.

And conversely, don't yank with a tow strap or chains. They are no designed for that.

I too watch Matt's Offroad Recovery, I want a kinetic rope now.

The longest heavy duty one you can find with two sewn loops instead of hooks.
Keep the straps in our job box. I know the kinetic ropes are strong, had an arborist that was working on a pond, his own property, had a piece equipment, tracked skidsteer slide down an embankment, onto a pond, broke through the ice. Hired us to pull it out with a D5. He swore by the rope, I told him it would snap. Due to lack of room we had to rig the rope to the blade & back out. Watched the rope stretch, snapped. He then doubled the rope, through a turnbuckle, watched the rope stretch, this time lifted the ass of the D5 off the ground, snapped. Expensive lesson.
Used a chain.

Ditto what MTLabrador and Rzrbck said.

I've been watching an offroad recovery guy on Youtube who uses kinetic energy ropes instead of the solid tow straps. They seem to work quite well, although I have no personal experience with them. I'm guessing there's a tradeoff somewhere or situations where you wouldn't want any give in the strap.
I've used both but prefer a stretchy strap. Guys in full sized trucks or Land Cruisers were always amazed when I snatched them out with a snatch strap in my '83 Toy.
Go like hell until it's banjo tight and then stand on the brakes. It works.

I've also ruined a couple skidding logs with them. Don't do it. Use a cable or a chain with a choker.

Not what you were asking, but I was a park ranger covering 2.5 million acres of dessert. These are worth or weight in gold and work in everything from desert to snow.

Rescue tracks

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back