Took Rod Haydell calling last night (pics)

Byron South

Rod met me and a friend of mine (Jack) about 4:30 yesterday evening. He is from Louisiana and night hunting is illegal there. We were talking over the phone the other day and I invited him for a hunt. We wasted no time getting to the woods. It was very warm and we had no takers on our first two stands. on the third stand we had two coyotes rush in at about 10 seconds into my first sequence on a new call they (Haydells) just came out with. we were set up about 10 yards in front of Jack so he could film me calling and Rod Shooting. The coyotes didn't know they were supposed come from in front. We were back doored. They got within 5 yards of Jack before they smelt a rat and disapeared. We made one more stand with no takers before dark. After we got a bite to eat we went night hunting. We saw lots of critters I believe we saw saw about a dozen coyotes and 2 or three bobcats. Called in 5 coyotes shot 1. The coyotes were very spooky. Called in two bobcats and shot 1. The bobcat Rod Shot with my shotgun loaded with a new load from Hevi-Shot made espeacially for predators. I have a deer lease down in a river bottom that is very thick. We set up in a small clearing maybe 40x80 that had three old logging roads leading to it. Started calling and contiuosly shineing my flashlight with red lens. At about 5 minutes I pick up the eyes of a bobcat coming down one of the roads at about 100 or so yards. I kept calling and he came to about 60-70 yards and hung up. We got up keeping the light in his eyes and walked up slowly while still calling to about 50 yards as he went to leave Rod put him down. We had a lot of fun last night. Hope ya'll enjoy the story and pictures.
DSC00332.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00326.jpg

DSC00327.jpg

Good Hunting

Byron :D

I always enjoy reading your stories and seeing your pictures Byron. Sounds that new Haydells call works pretty good. ;)

Byron ,,, see your hunters can hit them bobcat if you get them in front of your hunters ;) Looks like Rod can shoot,,, that helps a bunch and makes good pic's..... No matter, its not the kill that makes the hunt, its the people you hunt with.

Later Mejo

sly

Thanks Doug,

Yep, Rods a great guy and a lot of fun.
Here is a pic of one I put in front of a hunter. He couldn't see it :mad: . He was abou 25 yards from us.
de2db8de.jpg

Rod would have smoked that cat.

Byron
hump.gif
hump.gif

Byron,

Doug can't complain about anyone not seeing a predator. The first coyote I called in for Doug I finally spooked off by throwing rocks and sticks trying to get Doug's attention. ;)

In fairness to Doug, the coyote was directly behind him, exactly opposite where I told him to be looking.

LOL Tim! For a minute there I thought you was going to tell them about the one you called in while I was sleeping. :D It was worth the 2500 mile drive to hunt with you and I learned alot. ;)
Doug

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back