Caribou Gear

Too cold for tractor?

Ok I have to resuscitation this thread.

I bought a magnetic block heater to slap onto the oil pan of the tractor. Friday that circuit was tripped. Now I can't plug it in without tripping. This is the second one that this has happened to. Is it getting too warm? I was under the impression this was a set it and forget it type of deal, but clearly not?

I bought a magnetic block heater to slap onto the oil pan of the tractor. Friday that circuit was tripped. Now I can't plug it in without tripping. This is the second one that this has happened to. Is it getting too warm? I was under the impression this was a set it and forget it type of deal, but clearly not?
Mine is set and forget. I had it on my 8n for days at a time. Something else is going on. Maybe your electrical circuit or maybe the heater.

Is it the gfci or the breaker that is tripping?
I would try plug it into a different circuit without an extension cord.

Sorry good point. GFCI. I've tried it without an extension cord and it still happens immediately
Those heaters pull a lot of amps, so maybe your circuit is not enough for the job, but they are cheaply made so it might be the unit. Be careful with it and don't get fried playing with it. Put it on the tractor, then plug it in. Don't touch it while plugged in.

Sorry good point. GFCI. I've tried it without an extension cord and it still happens immediately
Honestly I would replace the gfci with a regular outlet. If you're not comfortable doing that replace it with another gfci.
They don't hold up with a block heater.

Honestly I would replace the gfci with a regular outlet. If you're not comfortable doing that replace it with another gfci.
They don't hold up with a block heater.
K. Just tried it on a none GFCI outlet. Tripped the breaker.

K. Just tried it on a none GFCI outlet. Tripped the breaker.
It's dead has a short then. Throw it away. If this happened twice I'm betting you are overheating the heater somehow. I wouldn't plug it in unless the temperature is below freezing.
Are you putting it on a flat surface of the oil pan below the oil level?

Last edited:
Back