Too Close!! $%&#@!!!

ELKCHASER

Ever get stuck in the deep thick stuff with a scoped rifle?

Saturday, My wife, daughter and I were out looking for mulies. After a no deer hike in the morning, we drove a few miles away and started pushing aspen and timber pockets around some old clearcut areas. My daughter and I headed in an aspen grove and my wife went in about a hundred yards away. We had not even got in 1/4 mile when I heard a huge crash and about 20 yards out a huge old buck was coming head on toward me as fast as it could possibly move. All I could see was eyes, head and HORNS. Biggest buck I have ever seen. Now, when I saw him he was 20 yards away and moving about 30 mph. I guess I had not heard him coming because it was pretty loud walking through the dropped aspen leaves. As I brought my rifle up, he saw me and veered off and passed me at 10 yards, still MOVING. I had no chance to get him in the scope, or get off a shot before he was gone. From the time I first saw him to when he was long gone must have been less than 5 seconds. I usually hunt areas where I can see and shoot long before the deer sees me and can't help but think a scoped rifle was worthless in this thick aspen and timber. If I had a little more presence of mind, I think I could have dropped him as he passed with the 44mag on my hip. I guess this type of hunting is what lever action rifles are for. Anyone else run into a situation like this? Man, I see that monster every time I close my eyes!

Good luck to all, headed back out in the morning!

ELK CHASER

I've never had it happen yet, but I always think about it! Somedays when I know I'm going to be in the thick stuff all day I'll carry my old 30-30.

Good Luck

HAPPEN TO MY DAD ONE TIME. FIRED 6 TIME WITH A SCOPED 30-30.NOT A HAIR TOUCH ON THAT DEER. DEER GOT WITH IN 10 FEET OF MY DAD.THINK DAD SHOOTING IN THIN AIR.

Never had it happen yet. I have been in some really nasty crap and have heard them about 30 feet away (or so it seemed) and never saw them. They could have been 10 feet away and I wouldn't have seen them.

I was in brush so thick the other day that I was having a heck of a time trying to get a bead on the buck or doe that were on a romantic interlude...Every time I just started to get a bead on them, they would move to a bad possition...All well, next time... :D :D :D

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back