Caribou Gear

Tom long beard live hunt

Last day hunts are always special - congrats!

View attachment 322771
Pulled my stands yesterday, late, finally. No mushrooms yet, but did see 20 turkeys, incl. 5 fighting toms. I’ll be out next weekend w/ my daughter.
Good luck! Last night there was 4 strutting Tom’s chasing 2 hens behind the house. Morels won’t be long! I will be back out during 4th season maybe looking to fill the Driftless Trifecta: Tom turkey, Brooke trout and morel mushrooms in the same day.

I survived a serial killer, just kidding, maybe?

We got quite a bit of rain over the last week. It was much needed. Normally several inches of rain would blow the rivers out but with the ground so dry most of it was soaked up. What did make it to the streams was just enough to make one of my favorite rivers floatable, but not dangerous.
Monday I loaded up the canoe and met another guy at a public area for our turkey float hunt. The weather was cloudy but nice. After three long days of rain the crowds of people were out but hopefully floating a river would open us to areas that hadn’t seen much pressure. The float is only about 5 miles straight line but ends up being closer to 10 with the meanders of the river. In the end, no turkeys were harmed. Each of us had strutting gobblers hang up between 50 and 100 yards. I found a few mushrooms and the river was too muddy to catch any white suckers. White suckers in cold water should considered a delicacy.
When we got to the end of the float it was after sunset. we stood up and my partner says “you are going to kill me. The keys are in your truck.” We had a shuttle vehicle but no keys for it! So what to do? There was another vehicle at the road so we hoped they would come along but we decided to walk down the road about 1/2 mile to a campground. There wasn’t anyone there when we arrived, but maybe someone would be set up now. About 2 hours earlier We had talked to a guy hiking, who wasn’t a turkey hunter but said he was going to Montana next week spring bear hunting, and he had said there was a tent set up there, but no one was around. As we got closer we could see movement at the campsite do that was good. It looked like a tent, a screen tent and a white windowless van! We approached the site cautiously and said hello. It was an older gentleman in his 60s or 70s. We told him our predicament and he graciously offered a ride. The van had a wall between the front and back but the front was full of stuff, not junk but keys, checkbooks, papers and other stuff. I hopped in and he gave me a ride to my truck. Nice gentleman, didn’t have to do that but he did. I gave him some cash for his troubles and he was on his way.

1714577496457.jpeg
1714578076135.jpeg
1714578097572.jpeg
1714579536125.jpeg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back