to shim, bed, or lap for scope alignment?

Paisano

Looking for some advice for a buddy. He has an older 110 savage where the front of the receiver is round and the back of the receiver is flat. He got the one piece lightweight talley rings with the integrated base. Everything was looking pretty good after mounting the talleys on the gun until we put the alignment bars in the rings. It appears the front ring is about .002" higher than the rear ring. We are looking for a practical solution. Is moving that much metal with lapping bars practical or advisable? Would adding a shim between the rear base and the receiver be a better idea? I hear about folks bedding their bases but I don't know anything about that. I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here with tons of experience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We'd sure like to get it right the first time! Many thanks and good luck in the draws!!!

so I'm wondering...no response..., is this a head scratcher or just a dumb question? ha, I'm thinking the shims would be easy enough to try...

I’d think about taking the rings back to wherever he bought them and see if they’ll swap them out. If it’s still a problem, then I’d try shimming and lapping

Check that they are not on backwards.
I'd also check to make sure they are sitting flat on the receiver.
My wife's Savage 110FP had an issue with bases. Took them off, laid base with no screws on the receiver. Obvious gap.
Laid straight edge across front of receiver to back of receiver. Huge gap! 0.120".

Ended up changing bases from 20 MOA to 0 MOA with shims under the back.

Base sits flat now, and even with the 0 MOA base it's like having a 20 MOA base.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back