Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

To crimp or not to crimp?

I went through a phase that I felt everything needed to be crimped. In my experience crimping (normal hunting calibers) does change things, sometimes better, sometimes worse, sometimes without change and not always repeatable.

I found one load with hammer bullets that seemed to cut the group size in half with light crimp. Loading some more of the same next time seemed to have the opposite effect.

The carbide dies are more for straight walled cartridges.
I haven't run accross one for bottle necked cartridges as of yet.
I use crimp for pistol cartridges, and semi auto/pump/lever action rifles.
Not for bolt action, with a couple of caveats.

I've seen where a crimp has helped accuracy for mono bullets if your having accuracy issues.

I'm trying a crimp on 2 rifles i use for benchrest matches. I'm wanting to see if i can get my wifes 223 more consistant.
But...
All the necks have been trimmed to equal length, and OD neck turned.
Without those 2 things, there is no way to guarantee a consistant crimp.
I have Dillon .223 & .308 Carbide die sets . Carbide dies are available in limited calibers

Yes, Dillon does make bottle-neck carbide dies, pretty expensive, and their site does say that it does not eliminate the use of lube.

Get a good reloading manual that is current and read it thoroughly two or three times through the reloading process chapters.

Getting set up for reloading can be rather expensive, but when you kill an animal or shoot a really small group with your own reloaded ammo, it is very satisfying.

All of my pistol ammo is crimped, roll crimp for revolver and taper crimp for autos, and yes, they all need to be trimmed to the same length for it to be effective. Rifle cartridge crimping for me is cartridge dependent and what I have found that the particular rifle likes.

And just when you think that you have everything you need for reloading, some new cool gadget shows up, and you have to have it in your reloading room. Have fun and be safe.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back