PEAX Equipment

To clean or not to clean

I'm with the majority on this one. Clean after all hunting is over unless high humidity or you get something in your bore that shouldn't be there like rain or snow. I like the idea about the tape over the muzzle. Good luck in CO!

Looking for a little help from some guys that understand rifles and cleaning way more than I do. Here is the situation. I have shot my rifle all summer (30-06 w/180 Nosler Accubonds factory ammo). I'm very happy with the accuracy. I went out this morning with a clean barrel to fine tune my dope at 500 and 550 yards. I fired a few to foul the barrel, a few to check zero, a few at 3 and 400 yards, and then moved on to what I went there to do. The changing wind directions and speed really played its voodoo BS on me and before I know it I had 36 rounds down the tube. Accuracy still seemed good even with 30+ rounds out the barrel, as my last 3 shots involved 2 rounds impacting appx. 6" apart at 550, and then my final shot was at 200 to confirm zero. The last shot at 200 impacted as such to still be part of the sub moa group I fired when I first got there. Today is really the last day that I have due to work conflicts for range time before I leave for CO. I may be able to squeeze some time in next weekend, but I got B-day party with the kiddos.

So my question is for you guys with alot of shooting experience, would you A) leave it alone and go hunt. Or B) clean the barrel since it's been shot 36 times, then make time to get back out to the range for a few foulers/zero recheck.

Only reason I am asking is I don't usally shoot that many rounds at one time, and usually clean after every range trip. Other thing I am factoring is sometimes messing with stuff just takes you down another rabbit hole.

Thanks for any comments/insight you may have.
The only guns I do a deep clean on are black powder rifles. But my 30-06, I only do corrosion preventative cleaning. I haven't had any accuracy issues with it yet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back