Tires for a Crossover

stretch

I will be taking my first trip out west this year and hopefully doing a lot more hunting and fishing. I have a teardrop trailer being finished up that should allow me to do a lot more camping and open up some more weekends in the outdoors. I drive a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe. I'm obviously not going to be crossing rivers, bouldering or crossing snow drifts, I am realistic. I'm not going to recreate the same experience as having a big pickup or truck. However, I am wondering if getting a slightly more aggressive tread, at least for half the year is worth it. I don't want the tires to sound like a semi truck during road-trips, but giving me some better traction on service roads and such might be a good idea. Any ideas from guys really in to wheels and tires would be welcomed.

What size wheels? Your options might be limited if you've got a bigger wheel size.

I always go with a fairly aggressive AT tire. Also find a full size spare or two from a salvage yard to take along.

I put Continental Cross Contacts not the ATs on my wife's Pilot and they seem to do the job on dirt and snow. I certainly wouldn't take it down something super muddy but the ground clearance is so low its not because of the tires. I would buy these again and if I remember in her stock size offerings were kind of limited.

What size wheels? Your options might be limited if you've got a bigger wheel size.

I always go with a fairly aggressive AT tire. Also find a full size spare or two from a salvage yard to take along.
18"

I have continental terrain contact a/t s on my Subaru Forester. No complaints from me on those.

I can't run the thick ply tires, so I do get a bit nervous about running over sharp rocks. I do feel pretty good about slippery stuff though.

A SF should be fine with decent tires. I kinda liked one I test drove a few years ago.
My neighbor put Coopers Discover on his little Ford with 18" wheels and they were hard to find for his size and wheel well configuration. But he drives that semi-suv all over NM now.
Not the best on the hwy drives he says,but as I say ,tires do you no good if you can't get to the hwy.....

The Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail are the only A/T tire I have found specifically designed for crossovers, I plan to put a set on my Subaru Outback next month. They are lighter and quieter than most A/T tires (e.g. BFG KO2) that were made for trucks.

We got Pathfinder AT's from Discount Tire for my wife's Honda Pilot and my truck. They're great tires. I'd recommend them.
Made for DT from Hankook.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back