Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Tired of IT!!!

txDEERhuntr

This year I am getting a Sawtooth B tag I am tired of trying to figure these animals out they are starting to frustrate me. I have hunted elk hard now for 2 years and only one with horns I was able to even think about a shot was a spike and i didnt wanna risk a 400+ yd shot with my 7mm. So if anyone who has hunted the Sawtooth area of Idaho any help or just a step in the right direction would be much help!

So you have decided to go to an easier tag? Right! seriously, I hunted the B tag in the Sawtooths (unit 27) for 3 years in a row. The country is tough as hell, the wolves love it, and the elk are in smaller groups. They bugled but only spotty and it depends on the weather. Often times it is just too warm. Drop me a line or whatever if you want details or help if it is the unit you are considering. I hunted north of Stanley, in the Frank Church.

Cheers
Roadtrip

Roadtrip said:
So you have decided to go to an easier tag? Right! seriously, I hunted the B tag in the Sawtooths (unit 27) for 3 years in a row. The country is tough as hell, the wolves love it, and the elk are in smaller groups. They bugled but only spotty and it depends on the weather. Often times it is just too warm. Drop me a line or whatever if you want details or help if it is the unit you are considering. I hunted north of Stanley, in the Frank Church.

Cheers
Roadtrip
any help would be great i was hunting bear creek up around grand jean seen lots of elk just wrong species with the tag i had!

moosie you and I both know the elk are there I just cant seem to find them with the right tag in my pocket.

txDeer,

Elk hunting is not supposed to be easy. I know guys that have gone more than two years without killing one.

In Washington State the averege when I left for getting an elk was 8 years...

I am guessing it is higher than that now... :)

There's B&C elk in the 2001-2003 book for typical in Custer, Blaine, Bear Lake, Clearwater and Teton counties. There's non-typical B&C from Lenhi and Shoshone county. One for each county. Do you hunt any of those places?

I have wanted to hunt with my uncle on private property in bear lake county but i can never get ahold of him to ask him!.......

tx.

there's a boat load of elk there. It'd be hard not to kill a bull in there with a rifle if one spends some time and effort.

Don't really know what to tell you. If you are willing and able to cover the verticle country, start a couple hours before light, at light park your butt and glass. You'll see lots of elk.

Yeah, Sawtooth or Bear Lake?

I wish I had $650 for this long range shooting course. Its taught by an old Army sharpshooter from the Vietnam times, Robert Duhon, at least he's the one that made their DVD, Shoot Accurately to 600 yards. It says you shoot 300 rounds in that 3 day course on long distance shooting. Its inspiring, the DVD.
http://www.texaspistol.com/2005_TexasPistolScheduleByMonth.htm

There must be other places that do this? Anybody know a cheaper one?

He's talking about the Sawtooth. I have been in there with him several times. Elk in there is like Fly's in Mexico. The only problem is finding Quality bulls. they are a little harder to come by............

Sawtooth zone. I've hunted units 33-34 for about 12 years.

Maybe I'm living a charmed life, but I've never not got into elk both bow and rifle.

Last year I rifle hunted, I passed up over a dozen bulls at under 100 yards. Missed a nice bull at further out and dumped a spike at the end of the hunt.

tx,

Your name wouldn't happen to be Marty would it?

If not, please disreguard. I knew a texacano transplanted to Boise before leaving the area.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back