Tips or advice on learning to call

Majja

Can anyone pass on to me some good advice on calling. I want to learn how to call, I know I need to practice, but would like some reference material so that i can tell if I am doing it correctly.

How is the elk 101 coarse for calling or what videos/ downloads would you all suggest

Put a ruffi in Corey Jacobson's drink and take him with you:rolleyes:

I guess I can be serious for a moment and tell you that I listened/watched YouTube videos of good callers and then record myself on my phone trying to mimic them. I am fair enough that a tone deaf mule might respond.

I haven't done any elk calling but I am ok with turkeys, ducks and honkers.

Sounding decent is only 20%. Understanding how loud, when, why, etc. is the harder learning curve. I would imagine elk are the same.

I bought some of Elknut's information and it was good.

Took the Elk101 course, but there wasn't a ton specific to calling if I recall correctly. At least no the mechanics of making the sounds.

The best I've seen is Steve Chappell's youtube videos. Very helpful IMO.

Thanks all so far for the pointer and please keep them coming. I am ok on a duck call. I hunt an area that gets over called so I have learned soft and only a little seams to work best.

Like mentioned above knowing what to blow is probably the harder part to learn.

If you're looking for a good beginner call. Get the elkreel. Its a cross between a diaphragm and a bite and blow, as a stickler for sound this surprised me. I've read a lot on what Chappell has said and talked to him a bit. I agree with everything he says in this article. http://www.elk101.com/2012/03/elk-calls-101/

First thing I'd do if I'd have to start over was learn the differences between call type. I'm partial to bugling bull for my diaphragm calls. I like carltons open reed calls (bull getter, mini bull getter, fight'n cow, long ranger).

If you read the Chappell article, he talks about reed width on open reed and bite and blow calls. When the reed is too narrow it just sounds funky IMO. Some sound like predator calls, others sound like a frickin kazoo. I never understood why I disliked the sound of these calls, but now I get it.

Thats what I like. Everybody is different. Find what you like and what you can make sound good

Put a ruffi in Corey Jacobson's drink and take him with you:rolleyes:

I guess I can be serious for a moment and tell you that I listened/watched YouTube videos of good callers and then record myself on my phone trying to mimic them. I am fair enough that a tone deaf mule might respond.

Both of these are good advice, but the felony kidnap charge might end your hunting plans for good.�� Recording yourself is a great idea and just keep comparing it to the real thing until you get it. Corey would be the first to tell you that perfect calling doesn't always work, sometimes it is the not so good calls that get a response. Big thing is to learn what to say, and when to say it.

Another vote for Elk nut's playbook and discs, and Corey did a DVD called the university of elk hunting that talked about some good tactics for the use of calling.

What I know is summarized pretty easily: Less is more, don't use a hoochie mamma ;), and calling works best when you can get in close first. In most general units you might get a bull to respond when cold calling, but to get them to react your best bet is to be close (<150yds).

As others have said, get Elknut's stuff. The playbook and DVD's 1, 2 and 4 would be a great start. It's not just about being able to use calls and make a realistic sound. you want to understand what the elk are saying and what you should say back. Elknut is the best I have found for understanding this.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back