Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Tips for getting in shape for backcountry

Fill your pack up and put on lots of miles! Use any inclines you can find as well as uneven ground. I shot my first elk in great cardiovascular shape and still nearly quit during my pack out. This year I put nearly 150 miles on with 65 lbs on my back prior to going out and would have gladly packed out another one the same day.

Do WAY more then you think you need to, it will be worth it!

Everything has been pretty much covered in detail except to arrive early a couple days if not more if possible so you can to get acclimated to the altitude. Also throw yourself on the ground with a heavy pack on because it will probably happen! JK ...local high school stadiums with a weighted pack does wonders for us flatlanders. Bend over a lot with the pack on with both hands just above the knee and hyperventilate as you will be in this position many times during your hunt, pace yourself and have fun!

This is largely true, and I agree with the overall premise of it. However, don't overlook the value of properly done strength training with weights, even if you only do it one or two days a week. Not only does it help you perform better in the field, but it is also a key component of injury prevention and staving off loss of muscle mass as we age.

I'm not in any way advocating hours upon hours in the gym. I'm talking 45 minutes, one or two times a week. Think heavy weights, think compound movements, think posterior chain and major muscle groups. Five to six lifts tops, do them in circuit fashion, and take short rests between sets.

I'd much rather be on my mountain bike or hiking/running trails, but I've seen and experienced the difference it makes.

Definitely agree with this.

p90x is a pretty good all around fitness program, its got a little bit of everything in it. i've been doing it off and on for years. when i do it consistently for a few months i'm in pretty good shape

Put a 45 lb weight in you pack, get on the treadmill, and put that incline as steep as it'll go. Go as long and fast as you can and you will notice a big difference over the course of a few weeks. I typically do this as a warm-up option before getting to my regular workout routine, which is similar to what JLS mentioned above. It isn't fun but you will be thanking yourself when you get into the backcountry.

codycoop95 is right on the money! I do the same thing when I'm training to go out west. The only thing I do different is that I don't use a weight vest. Instead, I just go faster. If you can run on the steepest incline setting for a quarter mile at about 8 mph for several sets, you're more in shape than probably 99% of other hunters.

Pretty much all of the above, and then see if you can get access to your local football stadium/field or a concert bowl, and run and put the pack on and climb the stairs, over and over again.

Even people in Fargo are doing yoga now? All my high school friends, enrolled in colleges there, to mainly drink............
Things do change...................
And people get in shape to hunt?.............

We do yoga in the back of our wagons as we're riding down broadway and drinking beer in -20 degree weather.

I have P90X but have found this is much better...

http://www.ironstrengthdvd.com/newironstrength/index

It was initially designed to reduce injury in runners, but the purpose is core strength and butt and leg muscles which are super critical for hunting. I call it the "Death Workout" because for two days afterwards, I won't even be able to sit on the toilet without holding onto the toilet paper holder to lower myself down. TMI, I know... but its a serious leg/core program.

Whatever you do I’ve always tried to make sure the most grueling, can’t take another frickin step and I think I’m gonna die feeling took place during training, and not during the hunt itself!

In short, busting your ass getting in shape will make the hunt way more enjoyable.

All the above, just remember the greatest hunting skills aren't worth a hoot if you can't get there! I have found that for me, fitness is paramount to what limited hunting success I enjoy because I am an impatient SOB and being fit enough to cover more ground in worse and nastier terrain = hunting success. I don't have the patience to sit and glass one pocket all day, so I hit lots of them.

Good luck and have fun!

I also live at elevation zero. I ride a Peloton bike but supplement that with squats, lunges, leg press’s etc. Cardio is certainly a critical part of preparation but you need core strength as well. Good luck.

Diet - Kill all soda. Small portions. Avoid processed foods.

Exercise - Cardio, legs, core. Walk, hike, stairs. 4-5 times per week for 1-2 hours if possible.

Acclimate - My boy lives in Dallas and said he notices the elevation for just a couple days. Of course he's also 28 and very fit. I'd add a couple days to the front of your hunt.

Reasonable - If this is your first backcountry hunt I'd suggest looking for areas you can hike a few miles and hunt. You don't need to hump 10 miles into a wilderness area to have a great hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back