Tips for 1st Black Hills turkey trip

bjochem

Any information would be appreciated. Mostly map scouted around Hill City. Heading out this Friday night from Wisconsin. Gonna do some looking around Pringle also. They are supposed to get less snow tomorrow. Planning on doing the same as we do here. Get up early, get up higher and put on the miles. Any concern with the roads right now? Is either area higher in bird numbers? Not looking for any secret spots just maybe some hints on meriams and hunting in the hills. Thanks in advance

I hunted the northern part of the hills. Some of the roads might be closed this early and because of snow. There’s not many places you can get away from people, because there are roads/trails everywhere. At least I didn’t find many. Get a map for sure and look for tracts with not many trails and start walking. If there’s snow and cold they may be quiet. That’s what happened when I was there. Weather broke midweek and it hit 70 and was sunny. Gobbled their heads off. I think basically all of the lower “field” looking areas where the roads are, are private land. Some of it is walk in area though. You’re gonna have a great time either way. I can’t wait to go back out there. Hopefully you got a Wyoming tag too.

The closer you get out towards Deerfield the more of a crap shoot the forest service roads will be. A lot of snowmobiling goes on out there that make a big mound of ice in the middle of the roads that takes some time to melt. I’ve never really been a big turkey hunter, but I like looking for sheds and seen quite a few turkeys in the spring. You can send me a pm if you want I might have some ideas on where to go around hill city. I don’t know any of the country down by Pringle though so can’t help you there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back