Time for a new rifle?

Hornady manual 11 has max velocity for 280 with 166gr @2800fps with 4 max loads. Data for 280AI with 166gr max 2 loads@ 2950fps. That loads I posted with for my 280AI with 175gr ABLR at 900yds I'm at 1643 lbs energy. I got some Berger 175gr on back order and use those on bull tag next year.
My Hornady book is 9th edition, I don't go get a new book just because someone printed it. Looking through my 9th edition I don't see where Hornady makes a 166gr bullet. Ah, went and looked on there site and sure enough there it is. So, what advantage would a 166gr bullet have over a 162gr bullet? Try to answer without spliting hairs!

My Hornady book is 9th edition, I don't go get a new book just because someone printed it. Looking through my 9th edition I don't see where Hornady makes a 166gr bullet. Ah, went and looked on there site and sure enough there it is. So, what advantage would a 166gr bullet have over a 162gr bullet? Try to answer without spliting hairs!
The 166gr is A-Tip Match bullet. I sure didn't select bullet so need someone who did.

He didn't specified which 4350 he used and you just took lowest and other 2 max 2700fps and 2800fps. I would think he use the 2800fps.
Old Roper,

You are correct, again.
I should have said Hodgdon, not Hornady.
I was looking at the Hodgdon Annual magazine.

Still, adding 100fps at the muzzle, isn't going to add 700 ftlb of energy at 900 yards.

Old Roper,

You are correct, again.

Still, adding 100fps at the muzzle, isn't going to add 700 ftlb of energy at 900 yards.
I never ran any ballistic and don't own 280. I got that 284 with 27" barrel and it's long throated and with Berger 168 VLD doing pretty good.

Old Roper,

You are correct, again.

I’ll be sure to approve any further load postings with you.

In the market for a new rifle. Deer, elk and potentially moose/bison if I ever draw a tag. Western hunting with ranges out to 500 yards. I'm a bid dude and can tolerate recoil well but don't want to get too crazy. Think I have settled on a bergara ridge wilderness in 300 prc. Any deep thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for any input.
300 mag would be my choice

Back